

## Steering Committee *Minutes* April 13, 2018

### Attendance

*Present:* Andrew Alger (AA), Shoumik Bhattacharya (SB), Nick Glastonbury (NG), Raj Korpan (RK), Alison Parks (AP), Tellisia Williams (TW), Anais Wong (AW), Teresa Ober (TO)

Plenary *Absent:* Marlene Nava Ramos (MNR), Liza Shapiro (LS), Charlotte Thurston (CT)

Executive Committee

**Steering Committee** Teresa Ober (TO) calls meeting to order at 4:45 PM.

### Constitution and Bylaws **I. Approval of Agenda**

Grants Nick Glastonbury (NG) motions to strike items number 2 and 3 under New Business. and add in agenda item number 5 as N.B. Alison Parks (AP) seconds. Motion passes unanimously.

Health & Wellness

Outreach **II. Approval of Minutes of March 2, 2018**  
AP motions NG seconds. Motion passes unanimously.

### Student Services **III. Executive Committee Reports**

#### USS Advisory Committee **1. Co-Chair for Student Affairs (Charlotte Thurston)**

Advocate Advisory Board *Elections are ongoing until May 1st.* About 4 percent of the student body has voted so far. I've reached out to a few program representatives who do not have representatives nominated for next year to inform them about the petition process to get a rep. Please vote, encourage ppl in your program to vote, and send election questions my way!

OpenCUNY Board

Governance Task Force

*Please do Title IX training online or in person!* There are two next week at these times: 4/16, 11-12 and 4/17, 2-3. Currently have received very few RSVPs, so if you plan on attending one of these please do let me know; otherwise, may be cancelled.

*There are 7 active chartered organization.* Currently contacting chartered orgs who need signatures to remind them to get signatures. New chartered org to be presented next plenary meeting: Mesoamerican Studies Group; another to be voted on next meeting, Global Enlightenment Thought. Interested in feedback on whether you find this group, Mesoamerican Studies Group, redundant with other chartered orgs like AELLA ((Latino and Latin-American Students Association). Will ask them a few follow up questions.

*“As a multidisciplinary and transversal organization born among members of the GC from diverse backgrounds, we will actively re-think and question the concept of Mesoamerica. Mesoamerica has historically and anthropologically been defined as the geographic area encompassing Central Mexico to Honduras and Nicaragua in which pre-Columbian civilizations flourished. The MSG’s goal is to challenge the epistemological hegemony of this definition and open a space for the inclusion of diverse*

*voices. We aim to foster a global network of relationships that allows us to transcend the specificity of the concept Mesoamerica and negotiate it from a holistic point of view."*

*Faculty Anti-bias.* Brought up in meeting with President Robinson about issues where faculty exhibit bias toward students, encouraging him (along with Provost and OSA) to institute more faculty mentorship and anti-bias training (along the lines of what is given to recruiting committees). He expressed concern in response.

*Food Pantry.* Reaching out to chartered organizations about possibility of partnering with Student Affairs to institute a food pantry. Any thoughts from you as steering on this also appreciated!

Questions:

Andrew Alger (AA): I have done this training for Queens College in the past. Will it count?

TO: I believe you reach out to Edith Rivera with your certificate of completion. I am not sure and will double check. If there are any additional questions, please address them to [ccsa@cunydisc.org](mailto:ccsa@cunydisc.org)

## **2. Co-Chair for Communications (Teresa Ober)**

*Recent Past Meetings since the March plenary:*

The DSC EC met with President Robinson on March 29. During the meeting we discussed the following items:

- Master's Tuition Fees
- Health Services
- DSC Participatory Budget Initiative
- Faculty Diversity and Mentorship for Students
- Advocacy Trip to Meet with State Legislatures: During the meeting, the possibility of a trip to Albany in the fall 2018 or early spring 2019 semester was discussed. The trip would be coordinated through the Office of Communication and Marketing. CUNY graduate students from various districts residing in New York State could volunteer to be part of a group of 4-10 (or so) and would meet with elected officials to speak positively towards the research conducted within CUNY, and the Graduate Center, in particular. The hope is that this could influence state-wide budgetary decisions that impact public higher education. Planning for the visit would most likely begin in the fall semester.

*Upcoming Meetings:*

*The DSC will be meeting with Prof. Matthew Gold.* Unfortunately, the meeting scheduled for March 30 had to be rescheduled. If you would like to be part of this meeting to talk about the changes to the current library concourse level, please let me know your availability.

The Middle States Steering Committee will be meeting on April 24. The Middle States Liaison Visit will also be taking place the same day starting at 4:15 PM. All members of the GC Community are invited to attend.

*The Auxiliary Enterprise meeting will take place on April 26.*

*The DSC PB Ad-hoc Committee met on March 30.* Progress is coming along with the projects, though we are still waiting to hear back from the Office of Facilities about a few linger concerns. The PB Committee is very open to input in this process, especially as planning takes shape for the next cycle, which will most likely kick off in the fall.

*The DSC EC will be meeting with IT* in the near future before the semester ends. A date is to be determined.

*The DSC will be meeting with the OSA in the next week.* The meeting date may need to be rescheduled due to schedule conflicts. During the meeting, we are hoping to focus on registration and CUNYFirst concerns.

*Announcements:*

*Title IX Training:* Please see the most recent email from CCSA regarding trainings. You MUST either complete the online training or attend an in-person one if you are on DSC leadership.

*DSC Elections.* Please spread the word about the elections period which will end on May 1. Those of you who were nominated should have already received an email stating which positions you were nominated for.

*DSC Party is tentatively set for April 27.* Please sign up for party duties if you have not already at this time! We have two weeks to plan but we have very little time to plan.

*Nominations for Graduate Council Committees 2018-19.* Please nominate yourselves or others! The Committees include those which deal with the following issues at the college-level:

- Curriculum and Degree Requirements
- Structure (this is essentially program governance)
- Services
- Research
- Committee on Committee
- Instructional Technology

Discussion: None

### **3. Co-Chair for Business (Liza Shapiro)**

*Update on DSC Website:* Checked on the manner in which the STF fee would be distributed: IT will be distributing these funds and will be liaising with AWM. IT has reached out to both me and AWM and indicated that they will pay AWM some \$2,000 in order to begin building our website on the external server. They're trying to ask AWM to have the site ready to move off the GC server in June, but we have stressed that the site will need to stay on the server at least through the end of June and Bob has agreed to this. Will make sure this happens.

*Contribution to Emergency Fund:* Met with College Association to propose moving money allocated from the Wellness Center funding to the Peetrie emergency fund (to specifically fund medical emergencies). CA thought it a good idea and indicated that the CCB (current and future) will sit on the emergency fund committee and review applications for emergency health funds (which will be made anonymous) since DSC funds will be going to fund it. Matt and Elise asked if this was something that the DSC could continue contributing to yearly; I've indicated that this is important to us and could be reflected in future budgets unless the GC brings back a health practitioner that we can contribute that fund to.

*Receipt reminder:*

Program Allocation receipts and Chartered Org receipts are due June 1st.  
Grant Receipts are due May 25<sup>th</sup>

*DSC Budget for 2018-2019:* Over the weekend I will create a proposed budget for 2018-2019 year and circulate it among Steering for feedback before presenting it to the budget. Our Bylaws state the Steering committee presents the budget at April's plenary (in practice this has always fallen to CCB but in practice Steering gives the CCB feedback on the proposed budget). I kindly ask that you send any feedback by Wednesday evening.

*Current DSC Budget:* I confirmed with Elise Perram about enrollment numbers and they are lower than what was initially sent to me calculate the Spring budget. This may mean that some budget lines will have to be adjusted to balance the budget once again.

*Campaign against Program Premium Fees:* This Wednesday I was interviewed for a media campaign against the proposed SAF changes that is being worked on by Hunter College activists. If you know anyone else who may be interested in participating in the video, contact me to put you in touch with the organizers.

*Housekeeping:* Please take a look at the main office when doing office hours to tidy up if necessary.

Discussion:

Please email [ccb@cunydisc.org](mailto:ccb@cunydisc.org)

**4. USS Delegate (Tellisia Williams)**

*Student Activity Fee Update:* The office of the General Counsel and the Central Office of Student Affairs have completed the latest revisions to the Student Activity Fee proposal. General Counsel Martinez and Vice Chancellor Rosa drafted a letter explaining the matter to the Committee of Student Affairs and the public. These documents were sent out to Steering on April 9 and to the DSC listserv on April 13. USS will draft a response to this proposal shortly. The proposal differs from the original proposal; there are fewer proposed changes in Article XVI of this document. If you have any feedback I can share this information with USS on Sunday. The Student Affairs and Special Programs Committee of the Board will discuss these recommendations at its meeting this Monday the 16th at 5:00 p.m. in room 725 at 205 E. 42nd Street. The Board is scheduled to consider these recommendations at its June 25, 2018 meeting.

*The Board of Trustees Committee on Fiscal Affairs is scheduled to meet on Monday, April 16, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. in the Room 0725, at CUNY Headquarters (205 East 42nd Street, 7th Floor). The Graduate Center Program Premium Fees are on the agenda for the following programs:*

- MS in Cognitive Neuroscience
- MA in International Migration Studies
- MA in Liberal Studies
- MA in Middle Eastern Studies
- MS in Data Science
- MS in Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences
- MS in Data Analysis and Visualization
- MA in Digital Humanities

The next USS Plenary Meeting is scheduled for Sunday, April 15th, 2018 at Guttman Community College

Discussion:

AA: Can I see the MA programs?

Tellisia Williams (TW): Yes, they are in my report.

#### **5. UFS Liaison (Nicholas Glastonbury)**

*There has not been a UFS meeting since March 13.* The next UFS meeting is 4/24, so there is no real new business, except that the UFS continues to push back against the proposed cloud computing policy, which has apparently gone back to CUNY Central's legal team for reconfiguration in consultation with IT. I wrote to Phil Pecorino, who has led the UFS charge against this policy, to ask him to forward our concerns to IT and Legal.

Discussion:

TO: Have you heard any updates since sending the email?

NG: Not yet.

#### **IV. Steering Officer Reports**

##### **1. Officer for Funding (Raj Korpan)**

*Recent Grants Meeting.* Last grants committee meeting took place on April 9th where we approved 9 requests for a total of \$5,355.

*Summary of the Year.* For the year we approved 34 regular grants and 2 start-up grants for a total of \$20,447. 1 regular grant and 2 start-up grants were withdrawn by the requestors and 0 requests were rejected.

Discussion:

TO: More asks this year?

Raj Korpan (RK): there were 26-28 last year. I don't have it on me.

AA: Did you go over budget?

RK: It's up to CCB. We have discretionary and should be fine.

## **2. Officer for Governance & Membership (Alison Parks)**

*Membership.* One open at-large seat remains; I will be reaching out to the next appointed runner up. One program rep seat remains open: audiology. The nominations for the special election are currently open.

*Governance.* The Constitution & Bylaws Committee will attempt to meet ( or confer online) before plenary to offer the body an update on the tabled constitutional amendments.

Discussion:

NG: Has CNB meant since last plenary to discuss the debated topic?

AP: No, we will meet.

## **3. Officer for Health & Wellness (Andrew Alger)**

*Wellness Festival.* I will meet with Allison Cabana this Tuesday to plan. Juli Cooper has confirmed she is available for the Wellness Festival on Tuesday, May 1st. She is also available for Thursday, May 3rd. This means that we will have our massage therapist coming before finals week. Students should be informed so that they don't wonder where the massage therapy is during finals week.

*Updates from the Wellness Office.* Adraenne Bowe, who was Nurse Practitioner at the Graduate Center, is now at the Graduate Center in the capacity of a Health Education Supervisor. This makes her Allison Cabana's boss and we will all be meeting in May to plan.

*The second Navigating NYSHIP workshop had zero attendees.* This is probably because Wednesday was on a Friday schedule. Scott Voorhees has suggested that we hold two workshops next semester (Late October and then in November) instead of the one each semester. I concur with this suggestion.

Q&A Discussion:

AP: To clarify the former Nurse Practitioner that was not here for two years that they claim they don't have money for is staying on in a new position and being paid?

AA: Yes. It is my guess that it will be at a lower rate.

TO: There were other costs. What is the new job description.

AA: According to Allison she is now her boss. I will follow up.

TO: NYSHIP workshop suggestion- record yourself

AA: You are right. Scott Voorhees gives the presentation. One concern is if the information changes and we put the video on the websites students will then be misinformed. Perhaps that is a task the Health and Wellness officer can do every semester?

Anais Wong (AW): The benefit of a workshop is to ask questions.

AA: Students ask questions when they impact them and this process is ongoing.

Ghost comment from CT: Sorry to hear that your labor to put together a workshop did not result in attendees! One positive outcome is that you can use the information you got from Scott to update the Navigating NYSHIP portion of the website, by uploading the most updated PowerPoint.

#### **4. Officer for Outreach (Shoumik Bhattacharya)**

There was an event this past week and another one next week.

Q&A Discussion:

Please contact outreach@cunydisc.org

#### **5. Officer for Student Life & Services (Anais Wong)**

*Meditation Sessions.* talked to the instructor and decided to change the sessions to be 1h guided meditation. A few people said they were interested in Wednesday sessions but I was still not able to schedule a session this week because of low sign ups. Allison Cabana (Health Education Coordinator at the CUNY GC Wellness Center) reached out to me to organize a meditation session at the Health festival, which might help get a group of interested students for regular sessions.

*Master's Fees.* Now that "excellence" fees for 8 MA programs are on the agenda of the cmte for fiscal affairs, I am trying to help coordinate students around 2 main strategies: a) getting the issue out in the press and b) get as many students as possible to sign up to testify at the April BoT hearing.

*UFS Budget Workshop.* I attended a UFS budget workshop today that clarified the budget process for CUNY central. The main takeaway for me was that CUNY bylaws mandate that each college should have a budget committee composed of elected faculty and students. I talked to 2 GC faculty about bringing a resolution to Grad Council (in coordination with the committee on structure) to form such a budget committee.

Discussion:

TO: Asks clarifying question

AW: Yes, if anyone wants to help draft this new idea please help.

RK: Question about the masters. Data science is having the fee. There are already students in the program and I am confused about how they are instituting the fee.

TO: Those already enrolled will not be subject to the fee.

AW: Tellisia do you recall if there is any clarification on this?

TW: Please check the email (from Board of Trustees Committee on Fiscal Affairs) for clarification.

NG: There are students on the committee, Teresa and Liza are on the committee.

TO: We were not elected.

NG: Reads the description of the committee.

AW: The bylaws say they should be elected.

TO: Can I see it?

AW: It's on the website and I will send it once I get the link.

TO: Things need to be clarified.

RK: Will the budget committee have power?

AW: No. They work as consultants.

TO: This is in an advisory capacity.

RK: Can we get data on how funds are distributed across the programs?

TO: I doubt any one person on the budget committee would know.

AP: I think the council of EO's would have more information about who is getting what.

### **6. Officer for Technology & Library (Marlene Nava Ramos)**

*Public University Forum was held on April 12<sup>th</sup>.* Students engaged in a conversation on the meaning of creating a public environment at a public university. We also heard amazing presentations by students such as Deshonay Dozier and Jessica Murray.

*Drafting statements on three issues.* Over the last year, we have seen a lot of initiatives and potential changes in these areas -- these should be interested as important opportunities where students can enter the conversation and include student interests in pending changes. In all, these documents are meant to summarize the work/ decisions that occurred in the last year and make suggestions for next year. The goal is to highlight student needs observed throughout the year and create continuity between this year and next year.

- First floor and library space: two important issues highlighted in conversations as well as survey responses are accessibility and functionality. Suggest to hire a third-party expert such as the Hester Street Collaborative in order to include student needs in projected changes.
- Library and research resources: strengthen lines of communication with the NYPL, advocate for full MaRLI membership, and direct access of e-resources. The NYPL receive about \$2 M in public funding in order to serve the public and specifically the CUNY Graduate Center. The NYPL's primary research constituency is the CUNY Graduate Center.
- Student Tech Fee and Information and technology: Request for full IT budget transparency, tech needs assessment in the library and each program, two/multi-year strategy for covering unmet needs. STF funding is being used to meet all library needs and is currently not enough to keep up with all equipment replacements.

Discussion:

Please email [technology@cunydisc.org](mailto:technology@cunydisc.org)

## **V. New Business**

### **1. Affiliate Goal Reports**

Affiliate Goal Reports. Please add comments to this doc by Sunday evening.



## **2. Planning for Party (April 27)**

TO: Please sign up for party duties. The party is two weeks away. Any volunteers to purchase the order?

Officers signed up for party duties.

## **3. Resolution in Support of Full and Fair Funding for All CUNY Graduate Center Students**

NG presents the resolution and makes edits directly to the resolution document.

AA: Commented on the third point under the second “whereas” and noted that it only takes one course to qualify for NYSHIP.

RK: The last comment states that the administration should be responsible for finding adequate funding, but it should also mention faculty advisors.

NG: Commented that it varies by programs. Some programs it would be inconceivable for advisors to find funding for their students.

NG: The comments will be sent to the AP and the resolution will most be added to the April 27 plenary.

## **VI. Announcements**

### **1. Gifts for Outgoing Steering**

LS (*commenting remotely*): We have budgeted to spend money on gifts for outgoing reps and committee members, as well as outgoing Steering gifts. I will send reminders about how much \$ outgoing Steering gifts can be purchased for. We will also need a point person for purchasing gifts for outgoing reps and possibly committee members--could someone volunteer? I will work with you in terms of pricing.

AP offered to help with the purchasing of gifts for outgoing representatives. RK will help with outgoing committee members.

AW: a DSC rep also involved with the PSC has asked if the DSC could put a resolution on 7K on the agenda of our April plenary (forwarded to all of you).

TO: That's fine they can email me as the CCC. The resolution should be sent ten days in advance. If they can get it out to me by April 20th that would be ideal.

CT (*commenting remotely* says): If people feel comfortable sharing, can we let each other know about any accomplishments or other things we feel good about in our work/time as grad students? Nice to share these things sometimes :)

## **VII. Adjournment**

TO: Motioned to adjourn the meeting by unanimous consent. There were no objections. The meeting was adjourned. at 6:48 PM.