

**Steering
Minutes
March 1, 2019**

Plenary
Executive Committee

Attendance: Shoumik Bhattacharya (SB), Elena Chávez (EGC), Elizabeth Che (EC), Rod Hurley (RH), Raj Korpan (RK), Teresa Ober (TO), Alison Parks (AP), Ana C. Perry (ACP), Marlene Nava Ramos (MNR), Jason Nielsen (JN), Anaïs Wong (AW)

Steering Committee

AW: Calls the meeting to order at 5:05 PM.

Constitution and Bylaws

I. Approval of Agenda

Grants

AEP: Moved to approve the agenda with the following emendation.

Health Issues

JN: Seconds.

Media Board

No discussion.

Motion passed unanimously.

Outreach

II. Approval of Minutes of

Student Services

A. February 1, 2019

Participatory Budget

RK: Moved to approve the minutes.

SB: Seconds.

No Discussion.

Motion passed unanimously.

III. Executive Committee Reports

A. Co-Chair for Student Affairs (Alison Parks)

Nothing to report.

Questions:

None.

B. Co-Chair for Communications (Teresa Ober)

Recent Past Meetings

- Middle States Steering Committee (February 28): Meeting to discuss verification of compliance documents. The agenda is below and more documents will be made available on the share drive in the "Middle States" folder:

1. New Co-Chair: Patti Myatt will be joining as a co-chair, in addition to Dean Yun Xiang and Dean Olan. Interim President Connolly is now no longer serving on the committee, and Provost Wrigley has assumed that role.
 - a. Timeline
 - b. Communications and website <http://www.gc.cuny.edu/middlestates>
 - c. Visiting Team Chair
 - d. Availability of working group drafts
 - e. Website working group
 - f. Evidence Inventory; SharePoint and beyond
 - g. UC Liaisons Concerns or Questions
 - h. Verification of Compliance-Lynette Phillips
 - i. Administrative Assessment-Brian Peterson
 - j. Report from Co-chairs on work to date and information needed going forward
 - k. Writer: Amanda Wunder
- Office of Student Affairs (March 1): Was not present.

Upcoming Meetings:

- Provost Wrigley (March 12)
- President Connolly (March 18)
- Meeting with Office of Development and Advancement: Setting up date/time
- Website Redesign Meeting: Date forthcoming. We have received proposals. If anyone would like to see them, I will add them to the share Drive.

Discussion:

ECG: We are doing a survey on Title IX about how well the institution spreads the word about the program. Would it be helpful to have that?

TO: They are responsible for having information about complaints and Title IX programming and it should be available to students so it would perhaps be useful. I'll pass along more information about how the GC is obligated to make certain information and data about these issues public. I think that it is our job to complain and make things heard.

RK: We did ask at the meeting today about the implementation of the strategic plan and were told that the strategic plan had been put on hold, essentially, in order to get through the Middle States process.

TO: They are conscious of the strategic plan and are trying to use the same framing.

C. Co-Chair for Business (Raj Korpan)

- *DSC Participatory Budgeting Initiative*: All three proposal approved by the voters - accessible door for library, replacement and restocking of pantries, and event to support artwork related to trans and gender-non-conforming communities.

Discussion:

AEP: When will be seeing the draft of the budget for next year?

RK: At the April steering meeting.

JN: When do programs find out about their spring allocations?

RK: I just calculated it today and I will send it out shortly. It's about the same as in the fall, only slightly lower.

D. USS Delegate (Rod Hurley)

USS Meetings

- Monday February 11, members of USS, along with dozens of students from CUNY and SUNY, attended Students With Disabilities Lobby Day in Albany to voice
- A USS delegation attended the Association of Black and Puerto Rican Legislators conference and scholarship gala in Albany from February 15 to 17, amid allegations that the association was mishandling funds and had not awarded any scholarships to students in the past 2 years. USS Chair Haris Khan reported that he received a verbal confirmation from the association that scholarships had been paid out, and that there would be student representation on the scholarship committee.
- Plenary meeting was held on Sunday, February 27, 2019, at Guttman Community College.
- University Dean For Continuing Education And Workforce Development, Angie Kamath, spoke about various CUNY Career opportunities. She said her office was working to increase the ease with which employers can access CUNY talent.
- USS approved a resolution to support Open Educational Resources across CUNY.
- Elections were held for the vacant position of VC for Evening and Part-Time Students remain unfilled and an election for this position will be held at the next meeting of the Plenary.
- USS meeting documents can be viewed [here](#).

Board of Trustees

- Academic Excellence Fees and “Program Supplement Fees” were approved by Board of Trustees (BOT) Committee on Fiscal Affairs and these proposals go before the BOT for final approval at the BOT meeting on March 18.
 - In the past, each program has had to go the BOT and request approval to charge these fees. But now they are trying to approve the fees for several programs at various colleges with a single proposal.
 - On March 11 there will be a BOT Public Hearing to hear testimony on this and other items. USS is asking students to sign up to testify about the potential impact of additional fees on students, write a testimony and have it read, or simply attend as a show of opposition to these fees. Please let me know if you can attend or are interested in testifying at the hearing.
- All BOT meeting documents and video archives can be found [here](#).

Announcements

- Friday, March 1st, 5:30pm - **Council of Student Government Presidents Meeting (John Jay College)**
- March 4th - 8th **Social Media Week of Action - What does CUNY mean to you? Build Student Power by Joining the Conversation on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook**
- Monday, March 4th - Public Hearing in Albany Senate Standing on Banks and Consumer Protection - **Protecting Student Loan Borrowers in New York State**
- Wednesday, March 6th - Press Conference in Albany **TAP GAP**
- Thursday, March 7th, 10:00am - City Council Higher Education Committee **Preliminary Budget Hearing - RSVP** for this Public Hearing through this link: <https://goo.gl/forms/FbzL7m3DuZ7N63Sn1>
- Friday, March 8th - **Day Trip to Albany - Collegiate Summit - RSVP** for this free trip to Albany through this link <https://goo.gl/forms/t2TFYGmdEJOpZVzh2>
- March 7th-10th - **2019 SOMOS ALBANY CONFERENCE**
- Monday, March 11, 4pm - 2019 **CUNY BOT Brooklyn Borough Hearing (City Tech) - RSVP** for this public hearing: <https://goo.gl/forms/7Dz8rslBOK3tVRDN2>
- 1:00-6:00pm Thursday, March 14th - **CUNY: Culturally United (John Jay College) - RSVP** for this event through this link: <https://goo.gl/forms/QbxiQwHloXmFumAw2>
- March 15th, (Time & Location TBD) - **USS Steering Meeting**
- Sunday March 17th, 12:00pm - **USS March Plenary (Guttman Community College) - RSVP** for this plenary through this link: <https://goo.gl/forms/RRheCszYWa1h0VG02>
- 11:00am Saturday, March 23rd, Brooklyn Bridge - **March in March #CUNYriseUP - Protest March - RSVP** for this march over the Brooklyn Bridge through this link: <https://goo.gl/forms/HeC5CeX0qPTzueuA3>
- 11am-3:30pm Friday, March 29th - **International Student Conference 2019 (BMCC) - RSVP** for this conference through this link: <https://goo.gl/forms/m6NI4JpbOJUzd2Jd2>
- Date TBD - CUNY Rising Press Conference - **Expand ASAP**

Discussion:

AEP: Can you repeat which event you'd like chartered orgs to sign up for?

RH: The "Culturally United" event on March 14.

AEP: Thank you, I will send the link out again to all the Chartered Org leaders.

RK: Is the academic excellence fee only for MA students?

RH: Yes.

RK: Has the BoT ever voted "No" on any of the fees?

EGC: Regarding the academic excellence fee - is it possible to collect testimonies from the MA students at the Graduate Center?

RH: Yes! Kathryn Alessi (DSC Program Representative, MALS) has reached out to me, even, about attending the hearing.

E. UFS Liaison (Anaïs Wong)

- Discussions about getting GC students instructors representation to UFS are slow and the best way to do it is not clear (either through the GC or directly at the campuses).
- UFS plenary: discussions about changes to the charter are contentious. The body voted down a motion for the creation of a committee that would have been charged to review the membership portion of the charter to come up with language that would improve equity for part-time instructors.
- UFS passed a [budget resolution](#), which a few members felt was not strong enough.
- In coordination with the SLS committee we have finalized the survey on Title IX at the GC, it can go out for distribution.

Discussion:

SB: Regarding the UFS position, we need a seat through the Graduate Center for GTFs, because if GTFs are taking spots at the campus, they're taking spots away from adjuncts, which need their representation.

AW: That has been my point, that if we get representation on the UFS it *must* be from the unique position of the GTF. It's difficult however to figure out where the jurisdiction lies. UFS gives guidelines and then the campuses decide how to appoint their delegates, but the number of delegates they are allocated is determined by the UFS charter and how many full times faculty the campus has.

RK: Is there a reason why they voted down this committee?

AW: It's unclear.

JN: Does UFS have a number of sub-committees?

AW: Yes.

RH: Would it be helpful to approach the sub-committees first to start gathering support and see if you can get them to present a motion to the body.

AW: There is a member of the EC who is in in favor of it we just need broader report.

IV. Steering Officer Reports

A. Officer for Funding (Elizabeth Che)

- *Grants Committee* met on February 5, 2019 to review the grants submitted for the January 15 deadline. We approved up to \$6,133.38 at the February 5 meeting. The total approved until today is \$16,362.38. The amount remaining in our grants budget is \$3,637.62. Grant proposals approved for funding include:
 - Sponsorship of the Nature, Ecology & Society Colloquium - \$700
 - An Interdisciplinary Symposium on Le Roman de Fauvel: Performance, Pre-Concert Talks, Post-Concert Discussion, and Reception - \$700
 - Black Lives, Conference - \$700
 - 9th Annual History Graduate Student Conference - \$700

- Erasures: Excision and Indelibility in the Art of the America - \$700
 - Shift: Blood and Earth and Soil - \$700
 - CUNY-wide "\$7K or Strike" Conference and Organizing Day - \$533.38
 - Change and Transformation Conference - \$700
 - Screening Performance, Performing Screens: New Projections in Theatre and Media - \$700
- *The next and last grant proposal deadline* for this academic year is March 15, 2019 at 11:59pm (EST). The Grants Committee will review proposals on March 26, 2019 at 2pm in room 5489.

Discussion:

None.

B. Officer for Governance & Membership (Jason Nielsen)

Membership:

- New at-large reps: Sabeena Ramnanan (Audiology), William Novello (Political Science), Tenn Joe Lim (Earth and Environmental Sciences), Sharanya Dutta (English). We almost have all live seats filled (except one).
- Off the body: Isabel Domínguez Seoane (resigned, at-large); Yasmine Ouchikh (resigned; at-large); Sara Akant (English, 2nd absence).
- Shoumik moves from at-large rep to English Program rep.
- Special election for Nursing Program rep -- three people nominated. Will be contacting them.

Governance:

- By-law changes presented at previous Plenary (thanks Alison!) -- voted on at next Plenary. Will send a Doodle soon to schedule another C&B meeting soon.

Discussion:

RK: When I was calculating the number for spring I noticed that there are a couple of programs without seats (business and social welfare) as well as the MA programs. Have you reached out to them.

JN: There are a few programs who don't have seats, economics, and perhaps another one. Some of the programs, like business, are not eligible. Regarding the MA programs, I have reached out, but they haven't taken initiative to get their seats founded.

C. Officer for Health & Wellness (Ana Perry)

In communication with Allison at the Wellness Center to have Massage Therapist for the Festival on April 30th - confirmed with Juli that she would be available that day. After the festival will have budget left for 5 more hours of Massage Therapist - debating if would be good to do another day around festival or to do one day during finals.

Discussion:

Any questions, please email wellness@cunydisc.org.

D. Officer for Outreach (Shoumik Bhattacharya)

- Due to a guest needing to change times last minute, I have decided to move international hang out event in order to facilitate Ellen Zitani's living on a budget section and she has promised to focus on international specific issues in this webinar. This is March 5th 6-8pm.
- Due to the plenary+party being on the 15th of March it seems sensible to combine the 2 events the committee wanted to do on one day in April.
- Concerns about multiple international students who have received late stipend payments have been communicated to bursar and financial aid offices. While this was not a systemic delay this time, I would argue that it is time to take on Elena's argument that the DSC demand on time and full payment of international and all students whether or not this means we are calling on CUNY admin to lobby for a changing of laws.

Discussion:

AW: Where are you at with the testimonies from international students who have delayed payments after the Feb 15 deadline that we are given.

SB: From what I've been told this semester by the Financial Aid Office and the Bursar's Office that there have been a few students who've had delayed payments, but there hasn't been a systemic issue of delayed payments. They admit some mistakes on their end, but that's not a good enough answer for us and I propose a resolution from the DSC to tell them to address this.

EC: I was told by the bursar office that some students got their payments delayed and that they didn't get it in full--for instance some were given half and then asked to come back in a few weeks to get the rest. The rationale from the bursar's office was that there was a mistake processing paperwork and taxes. I collected taxes from Fall 2018, but I don't have testimonies from this semester and haven't received any emails this semester. I'm ready to work with Shoumik to push this issue forward.

RH: I went to the bursar's office to ask about my payment and they told me that the system goes through the list in waves and student are placed into tiers that determines when the payments are processed and the processing only happens on Tuesdays. That's why there is such discrepancies in the payments.

SB: This is nonsensical. This is why we need to continue telling stories and force them to give us hard deadlines and call them out when they don't stick to it.

AW: I want to emphasize that when this was happening last semester and we told Chase and Joy that they were putting together a committee to work on it.

ECG: Do we know about the committee that they mentioned?

AEP: We asked Matt Schoengood about the committee in our meeting in February and he said had no idea about it. He looked into it and today told us about a "Financial Aid Taskforce" that met with the PSC in October, but the committee regarding the late payments of international students is nonexistent.

ECG: We met with the GC Chapter of the PSC and they told me that they would like to make these fellowships part of the contract. The PSC met with international students last week and they're willing to work with the DSC to make the stipends into part of the bargaining stipulations.

SB: The problem with that is that if the stipends are broken up, it puts international students in a rough situation if they don't get the lump sum payment at the beginning of the semester.

ECG: They're open to suggestions so we can continue discussing this later on.

E. Officer for Student Life & Services (Elena Chávez)

Activities of the Committee for Student Life and Services:

- Held our first SLS Committee meeting on Feb 7th. We are partnering UFS, Anais Wong, on her plans to bring awareness on sexual harassment and Title IX policies at the GC.
- We planned the following activities:
 - Mental Health First Aid training April 4th and April 11th from 10am to 2pm. It is mandatory to attend both sessions in order to get a 3 years certificate.
 - Board Game Nights. 1 session per month. Agreed to buy 2 more BG.
 - Healing Circle for Survivor of sexual harassment at the GC. We plan to do it on Saturday March 30th.
 - Self-defense class- the instructor confirmed he can impart two workshops again. We have not yet discussed this event.
 - Tabling and Survey on Title IX

Discussion:

AEP: Have we determined an answer to the question about whether faculty at the CUNY campuses are mandatory reporters? I know that we as DSC representatives are not.

AW: I looked at the policy on sexual misconduct and there are some "responsible" people on campuses who are mandatory reporters, but as regular faculty we are not mandated reporters. We are just reported.

JN: How about instead of asking for two games, we just ask Eric Brown and the Office of Student Affairs to give us money?

EGC: That's a good idea!

RK: I can help point you to websites that offer games at very discounted rates.

ECG: That's good news because we are organizing a lot of events this semester which is straining our budget. Thank you.

JN: We could also reach out to chartered orgs to spend their money. This would be an easy way for them to co-sponsor.

RK: We also have steering discretionary. We don't have to wait until the last minute.

RH: We can also ask USS for money, as long as it is open to CUNY students. Chances are CUNY students won't come but you have to say they are invited.

AW: Just to confirm we are doing the tabling on March 12, Tuesday?

EGC: Yes.

AW: Have you sent out the registration for the Mental Health Training.

EGC: No, but I will be finishing it up tonight.

F. Officer for Technology & Library (Marlene Nava Ramos)

- The Student Technology Fee Committee meets on Thursday, March 7th at 10am -- there is a proposal to replace printers for \$23,000, and perhaps a proposal to get rid of EViews, a statistical software (\$540).
 - The total for both printers is \$18,990. The replacement for the 64" printer is the new 64" Epson SureColor P20000 printer, which lists for \$11,995.00. The replacement for the smaller 44" is the Epson SureColor P10000, which lists at \$6,995.00. We would also need new ink supplies for each machine, at \$2,270 per machine for a \$4,540 total ink cost.
 - Software Usage Application Metering Report Year 2018 (PC and Mac)

■ MapInfo	127
■ Imper0	340
■ Atlas.Ti	13
■ Nvivo	21
■ Sibelius	29
■ WinEdt	41
■ Eviews	0
■ SPSS	463
- Strategies to identify partnerships for writing spaces. I want to open discussion at the end of my report to get your input regarding direction: 1) approach different institutions such as the Center for the Humanities, the Writing Center, Mina Rees Library; 2) pass formal resolution; 3) submit a participatory budget proposal, grants committee proposal, or steering discretionary
- Plenary incentives, weekly metro cards, went very well, I can buy incentives for March Plenary -- I believe weekly metro cards might be most ideal. Potentially collect preferences at the next plenary

Discussion:

SB: I think the writing space is a great idea and pairing up with institutions is a great thing because that is part of their mission and they have money.

TO: I know that the writing center is active sending out advertisements so a resolution may be asking for services that are already being provided. However, a writing space is

something that would be worth pushing for. We could reach out to help them do outreach for their events.

RK: Are they talking about the printer that's in the mac lab?

MNR: I don't think that it's a student-facing printer.

RK: Regarding the software usage, it's great that they actually gave you the numbers for once because we've been asking for it for a long time and they've never given it. Regarding EViews, there's one professor who uses it for one class, but if nobody is using it we should get rid of it.

JN: Regarding the printers, I don't know what you mean. And I don't know what you mean regarding the dissertation space either.

MNR: It was determined last year that there is need for writing spaces.

AEP: If the 64 inch printers are the ones in the print shop, I think it may be worth advocating to get them to replace one of them.

AW: I think the metrocards were a great idea.

SB: I just want to reiterate that the print shop people are very helpful for students.

MNR: We need to advertise that service more if we have it!

EGC: The metro cards - we lost \$11 on it?

MNR: Yes, because it was the "new card fee" for each.

RK: I just want to emphasize that we are authorized to buy gift cards in certain circumstances.

AW calls for a 5 minute break at 6:08 PM.

Meeting will resume at 6:13 PM.

AW calls the meeting back to order at 6:15 PM.

V. New Business

A. Social Media Correspondent Applications

TO: We have two applicants. I have copies of application material. We should review them.

AW: Called for executive session to discuss the candidates.

Anonymous vote was conducted and there was unanimous consensus to interview both candidates. A schedule will be sent to the members of steering to schedule the interviews.

B. LAILAC Room Reservation Exception (Voting)

AP: Moved to allow LAILAC the use of a third room beyond the exception.

MNR: Seconds.

No Discussion.

Motion passes unanimously.

C. Dissertation Showcase Nominations (Voting)

TO: The Office of Communications and Marketing is looking for a committee to review submissions to the annual showcase.

TO moves to nominate Lisa Millsaps and David Monda for the committee.

RK seconds.

Discussion:

SB: I agree with the nomination because it makes sense to have PhD students be the one to evaluate this.

D. Elections Media Campaign

TO: I wanted to put something together to highlight the work done by DSC representatives. I've put together a form where reps can input what they've learned from the DSC and their bios.

EGC: This idea came out of the fact that many people came to me and didn't know who was on the ballot and this can make things more attractive and encourage people to vote for people.

MNR: This seems like the type of work that I would expect the social media correspondent could do.

RH: I would like to bring up the idea of DSC awareness. We need to do more in terms of awareness, more swag.

RK: I'm going to repeat again that we do have DSC discretionary exactly for this purpose.

E. Affiliate Goals Report (Voting)

RK: Recoded feedback for the individual affiliates.

F. Steering Retreat Ideas

TO: The first choice based on the poll was karaoke. Is this okay?

There was general consensus.

G. Party Planning (March 15)

TO: We should discuss logistics for the party.

Logistics were decided upon through general consensus.

I. Announcements

A. "Stand for Peace" event: Sunday, 2 PM at 110 St. and Lenox. All are welcome.

II. Adjournment

AW: Adjourned the meeting at 8:07 PM by unanimous consent.