

Steering Committee  
*Minutes*  
February 7, 2020  
4:30 PM

**Attendance**

Rod Hurley (RH) – Chair; Raj Korpan (RK); Elizabeth Che (EC); Ming Chen (MC); Jane Guskin (JG); Giacomo Bianchino (GB); Adam Kocurek (AK); Mary Jean McNamara (MJM); Sonja Gandert (SG);  
Absent: Michael Greer (MG); Sharanya Dutta (SD);

Plenary

Executive Committee

**Steering Committee**

Constitution and Bylaws

Grants

Health & Wellness

Outreach

Student Services

USS Advisory Committee

Advocate Advisory Board

OpenCUNY Board

Governance Task Force

RH calls meeting to order at 4:41 pm

**I. Approval of Agenda**

MJM moves to approve the agenda with the addition of new business items b (Endorsement from the Ad-Hoc Accessibility Committee), shift other items down and j (Starbucks)

EC seconds the motion

*Discussion:*

AK: We need to vote on a petition to bring in at-large reps and new program reps

AK moves to amend the motion to strike “Biography and Memoir” on new business item a  
MJM agrees to the amendment

*Vote:* agenda unanimously approved.

**II. Approval of Minutes of October 4, 2019**

AK moves to approve the minutes.

MC seconds the motion.

*Vote:* Motion approved unanimously

**III. Executive Committee Reports**

**A. Co-Chair for Student Affairs (Elizabeth Che)**

- Nomination period closed on March 2.
  - 1.5% turnout -- not ideal but it is within the “norm” for previous nomination periods. (Last year was 2.4%.)
  - Tried sending emails through the eBallot system. The emails were sent to Graduate Center accounts that were associated with students on the matriculated students list.
- 16 Programs do not have nominations and will need to petition for an open seat.
  - Audiology
  - Biography and Memoir (M.A. Program)
  - Chemistry
  - Classics
  - Data Analysis and Visualization (M.S. Program)
  - Data Science (M.S. Program)
  - Economics
  - French

- Middle Eastern Studies (M.A. Program)
- Music (DMA Program)
- Music (PhD Program)
- Nursing
- Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences (M.S. Program)
- Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences
- Theatre
- Women's and Gender Studies (M.A. Program)
- 

- 23 Programs have at least 1 nomination. A ballot will be created for the program if the nominee does not opt out.

- Anyone within the program who wants to run for representation in a program that has a ballot can write themselves in (and have others in their program write them in).
- Next step is to have co-chair for communications contact nominees. Then the compiled list of nominees who did not opt out will be sent to Student Affairs to verify eligibility, and to SERC to approve the ballot.

Plenary

Executive Committee

**Steering Committee**

Constitution and Bylaws

*Discussion:*

Grants

MJM: What are the academic eligibility requirements? What are the term limits?

EC: No term limits. Just have to be reelected.

Health & Wellness

AK: It's very open. Outstanding issues in your status as a student are the only obstacle.

MJM: How many incompletes?

AK: Not sure, will have to find out.

Outreach

GB: Is there any way for programs that don't have a nominee to write-in individuals on the ballot?

Student Services

EC: There has to be an accepted nomination to create a ballot. Then anyone from that program can still write-in themselves.

USS Advisory Committee

### **B. Co-Chair for Communications (Rod Hurley)**

Advocate Advisory Board

#### *Recent Activity*

- Represented the DSC at the CUNY Emerging Leaders Conference on 2/28 at Brooklyn College.
- Updated DSC Website Grants page and Social Media Page. Also updated social media Google form, sent out messages about social media correspondent and services offered.
- Attended GC Communications and Marketing Open House on 3/3 and participated in breakout sessions about:
  - Event Planning and Promotion at the GC
  - Website Redesign Update - They will be switching to Drupal from Kentico. We now have access to the GC website so I can edit directly and add content to the website and GC events calendar.
  - Social Media Management - best practices for maximum engagement
  - Kentico
- Gained access to the GC website for adding events to the GC and CUNY calendar. Attending a

#### *Upcoming Dates*

- March 18 - Co-Chairs monthly meeting with Office of Student Affairs
- March 20 - DSC Plenary Meeting
- April 3 - DSC Steering Committee Meeting
- April 8 - 16 - Spring Break
- April 24 - DSC Plenary Meeting & DSC Party

*Discussion:*

MJM: Do you have access to display events on the GC screens?

RH: Contacts and guidelines for digital signage can be found here: <https://www.gc.cuny.edu/About-the-GC/Administrative-Services/Communications-and-Marketing/Resources-and-Services/Digital-Signage>  
 GB: SLS busy so dropped ball on website design. Has that meeting come and gone?  
 RK: Recommendations for changing Title IX page should go to Elise Perram in OSA.  
 RH: Follow up with OSA and website people themselves.  
 EC: Elise wanted to have examples of other Title IX language. Regarding the event calendar, Graduate Center Room Reservations requested for events to be put on the event calendar.  
 GB: Already sent in event request.  
 RH: Going forward we can add these ourselves.

**C. Co-Chair for Business (Raj Korpan)**

- Plenary
  - Executive Committee
  - Steering Committee**
  - Constitution and Bylaws
  - Grants
  - Health & Wellness
  - Outreach
  - Student Services
  - USS Advisory Committee
  - Advocate Advisory Board
  - OpenCUNY Board
  - Governance Task Force
- **Participatory Budgeting:** Proposal period ended. We got 3 proposals:
    - LAILAC and Comparative Literature Lounge Renewal
    - Proposed recreational activity at the GC and the ASRC/CDI campus of the GC, CUNY
    - Parents of the GC
  - **Budget:** Revised budget was approved at the February plenary
    - Good news everyone! After getting the final enrollment numbers for the spring semester, the enrollment was higher than I had predicted so we have an additional \$11,002.50 to add to the budget. What this means is that I will again be bringing a proposed budget to the plenary this month to vote on in April. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
  - Represented the GC at the CUNYVotes event along with the leaders of other student governments across CUNY

Discussion:

MC: The Health and Wellness committee will be donating \$500 for puppy therapy and holding two massage sessions with Julie and may go over budget. Can money be added from the discretionary fund for these events?  
 RK: These might be areas where part of the \$11,002.50 could be added.  
 MJM: Program allocations: how can we encourage the programs to spend the money?  
 AK: We will have a few new reps on March 20--can put this in the report at the plenary meeting. Program allocations don't carry over.  
 MJM: With a windfall of \$11k, would you recommend that DSC steering put together a list of possible allocations? How should we do this?  
 RK: In the past, steering has come up with one-off projects to utilize the money, like archival history – and individuals were paid to do that work. We could also provide student travel grants, or allocate more money to the Petrie Fund or child care center. I will make a spreadsheet with ideas; we can add to it before presenting the revised budget at the next plenary.

**D. USS Delegate (Jane Guskin)**

- USS is having its annual March in March on Sunday, March 15, at 11am, marching from Brooklyn Borough Hall across the Brooklyn Bridge to City Hall. Next USS meeting is the following Sunday, March 22. USS folks have been up to Albany multiple times fighting for CUNY funding and against the tuition hike. Chair Timothy Hunter and Legislative Vice Chair Juvanie Piquant have taken the lead in pushing clear and forceful demands for full funding for CUNY.
- PSC is organizing events at different campuses this Thursday, March 12 to support the fight for full funding. GC event will start at noon in the main lobby and will involve leafleting. Hopefully more details will be shared on the DSC listserv.
- I'm collaborating with several students and members of the Ad Hoc Accessibility Committee.

**E. UFS Liaison (Mary Jean McNamara)**

- UFS is formulating a response to the proposed changes to the Henderson rules (student code of conduct) and the expressive actions policy.
- DSC resolution against the proposed changes to the Henderson rules has been forwarded to professors Burke and Pecorino at UFS.
- CUNY recently appointed a new general counsel.

*Discussion:*

RH: Was the new general counsel appointed after first draft of new rules?

MJM: Yes.

RH: Is the expressive actions policy separate document?

MJM: Yes, this has alternative guidelines for how faculty should be regulated.

RH: Student Affairs office said that the current draft of the student code of conduct is being retracted, and that we should expect to see a new draft. That was in response to sending them our resolution. Once we see a new draft we can go from there.

Plenary

Executive Committee

**Steering Committee**

Constitution and Bylaws

**IV. Steering Officer Reports**

**A. Officer for Funding (Sonia Gandert)**

- The Grants committee met on Wednesday, March 4. We received six proposals totaling \$3200; the average request was \$457.14. We approved all six, however one of the proposals was only approved for \$600. There is \$3,100 left in the budget, which we will likely exhaust in the final grants cycle of the semester. [May want to request more in revised budget.]
  - The proposal that was not funded up to the full \$700 amount raised significant concerns among the Committee for two reasons: 1. it was one of two proposals in the same cycle from the Theatre and Performance Program, and 2. (more importantly), it was for an alumni-driven event that has received DSC funding on a near-annual basis since 2012. Additionally, the PI had not made an effort to seek funding outside the Theatre Program. The Committee, with considerable hesitation, decided to award \$600 but urged the representative to speak to her program and other student organizers to let them know that they should perhaps to try seek a more reliable and permanent funding source.
  - Based on these hurdles (students not seeking additional funding outside their programs and the DSC (e.g. external partners and chartered orgs); recurring events; and a critical mass of events coming out of the same department) make me wonder if it's worth revisiting the bylaws/guidelines. We might consider limiting the number of times DSC will fund recurring events and/or add language to the website that is more explicit about applicants needing to do due diligence to find additional partners. It would be great to avoid these types of situations in the future, especially since we are running low on funds.
- The next meeting will be held on April 1, 2020 at 5:30 PM in 5489. The deadline for proposals is March 20.
- I am going to encourage all current grantees to use DSC social media to promote their events.

Grants

Health & Wellness

Outreach

Student Services

USS Advisory Committee

Advocate Advisory Board

OpenCUNY Board

Governance Task Force

*Discussion:*

GB: Did you let Theater and Performance reps know about this issue?

SG: Yes. Technically fills the requirements.

RK: Award is for distinguished senior person in field to recognize contribution. Not to GC students or alum.

SG: Like an invited speaker. Academic event. Also designed to attract alumni. Is there a way to partially endow? Not sure. Full funding from DSC for a number of years.

AK: Regarding idea to change bylaws re: eligibility, potential loss of freedoms by restricting it officially. But you can draft something.

RK: A lot of conferences come back year after year for a grant. Committee always funds it.  
 MJM: DSC's mission should be not just funding but increasing student participation.  
 SG: We don't want this to be about policing.  
 JG: Perhaps we can put it in the application [fill in later: past grants, preference to new projects, other funding sources]  
 SG: Seems like punishing them to make them list past grants.  
 SG: If it is a student symposium that is organized every year but not with the same organizer, it is tricky.  
 RK: Sometimes students have an idea. They don't know anything about program allocations or grants. The student wasn't involved with the program but after getting the grant, they can start something new. Our grants are used to help students get events off the ground.  
 SG: Resources on website: advice on program allocations, who to talk to. Some might not know.  
 MC: Change time frame: apply only every two years.  
 AK: We can bring proposals to C&B for deliberation.  
 RK: We can give more money to programs so they can fund projects themselves.

- Plenary
- Executive Committee
- Steering Committee**
- Constitution and Bylaws
- Grants
- Health & Wellness
- Outreach
- Student Services
- USS Advisory Committee
- Advocate Advisory Board
- OpenCUNY Board
- Governance Task Force

**B. Officer for Governance & Membership (Adam Kocurek)**

- There are a number of At-Large Representatives and Program Representatives for Steering to vote on. All have been approved by Elise Perram and Eric Brown.
  - At-large Representatives:
    - Mounira Kekhida
    - Marianne Mador
    - Pamela Stemberg
  - Program Representatives:
    - Katherine Anderson (Biology)
    - Efthimia Johanides (MALS)
    - David Dansu (Biochemistry)
    - Jos Fesinstine (Women's Studies)
    - Goncalo Costa (Economics)
    - Ege Aksu (Economics)
    - Keith A Dames (Biography and Memoir)
- We will still have one open At-Large Representative seat to fill, but I am in communication with a potential candidate now and trying to bring them into the fold.

**C. Officer for Health & Wellness (Ming Chen)**

- The NYSHIP Seminar for Spring 2020
  - Have advertised the event through DSC listserv, Twitter, and Facebook.
  - Just 7 people signed up probably because we already held two seminars last semester
  - 2 - 4 PM on March 9 (Monday); Room 5414
  - Committee members Yilin Wang (Educational Psychology) and Bernadette Ojukwu (SLHS) will come to help.
  - Have contacted Sharanya's friend, Eva, for the NYSHIP navigation workshop, but haven't heard back from her. I will follow up with her next week
- The Wellness Festival for Spring 2020
  - Have reached out to Juli about the time of massage event during the Wellness Festival but haven't heard back from her
  - Will follow up with her next week
- Puppy Therapy
  - Have contacted New York Therapy Animals to schedule another Puppy Therapy this May

- The time of this event has been decided: 7 - 8 PM on May 14 (Thursday)
- Will reserve the room and advertise this event soon
- The Wellness Referral Service
  - Have contacted the Wellness Center about their counselling referral service
  - The Deputy Director of the Wellness Center, Arielle Shanok, has written back. She is willing to meet at an Administrative staff meeting on Monday 9:30 AM. Quote from her: "Currently we are responding to an unprecedented number of new requests and crises for this time of year, so we ask to schedule several weeks out."
  - It might be good to do a survey to collect our students' voices on this issue

Plenary *Discussion:*  
 MJM: How can we press various people in the administration to alleviate concerns about availability and quality of wellness services? Survey is one thing, but we should also be prepared to set up a meeting and have data prepared in advance.

Executive Committee  
 RH: Maybe we should request a meeting within two weeks? If that doesn't work, we can go to Student Affairs.

Steering Committee  
 RK: Survey is good, but important for them to give us data. How many students come to them with requests for counseling, how many are they seeing, how many are they referring immediately? I'd like to also see their referral list. We could do our own independent investigation and post it on our website, so people don't have to deal with the trauma of going through the wellness center.

Constitution and Bylaws  
 SG: They might have a problem with that. They said they customize the referral list based on one consultation. Practitioners themselves might have an issue. Process is not transparent.

Grants  
 MC: Agree they might have such concerns. In the email I asked for the referral process, and they didn't respond to that but said we could discuss when we meet.

Health & Wellness  
 GB: First step: ask for raw data. Combine that with anecdotal evidence. Use that with leverage to ask for referral lists, referral process, etc. Identifying the problem first will help.

Outreach  
 RK: We should meet with them before we meet with OSA, or request that the head of the wellness center attend the meeting with OSA. We don't understand the underlying problem. If it's just that they don't have enough people, we could consider contributing from DSC budget.

Student Services  
 AK: Most of the therapists you meet with there are students doing their fellowship work. If we say do you want us to contract outside help, how can that be used?

USS Advisory Committee  
 MJM: Need an email response to them: in light of proposed wellness fee, wellness center is under more scrutiny; you need to meet with us; should we fund a crisis hotline? We can't assume that if we give money to the wellness center, they will use it to benefit students.

Advocate Advisory Board  
 MC: Student-recommended NYSHIP providers listed on wellness website, will that overlap with referral list? Maybe we can provide that as a resource for students.

OpenCUNY Board  
 RK: Do you know how students are assigned to provide therapy at the wellness center?

Governance Task Force  
 RH: There's an application process. One student who is a licensed therapist with many years experience was offered a position but was turned off by the environment there. That says something.  
 MC: Will create Google doc with draft email requesting a meeting within two weeks; email to be sent out by Monday or Tuesday.

**D. Officer for Outreach (Sharanya Dutta)**

- Went to the international student tax workshop--the international student office said they pay for those and didn't want us to waste our resources having someone on retainer. The workshop was actually quite helpful. I took some notes. I will be sending out an email and the powerpoint from that workshop. In touch with the international students' office to get a hold of that.
- Sent out the email about transfer credit issues--no consolidated information yet.
- Will encourage students to attend the NYSHIP seminar and will try to attend it myself and take notes. (On that topic, any update from Eva yet about the more informal workshop, Ming?)

- Emailed Scott Voorhees to ask about NYSHIP coronavirus testing coverage and this is what he said: “We have not received any information from NYSHIP pertaining to coronavirus. I am copying the staff at the University Benefits Office, which is the plan administrator, for any additional information.” Nothing more on this yet. Perhaps we could push for a response? Update: “The University Benefits Office, which is the NYSHIP plan administrator, has advised that they have not received any information concerning the coronavirus. The only notification I am aware of stated that Graduate Center students should be directed to the GC Health and Wellness Center, or their campus health service, or call 311. I will keep you advised if I receive further information. Thank you.” Still not very definitive. Or, it is definitive, and students are basically left to fend for themselves. Which is outrageous.

Plenary  
 Executive Committee  
 Steering Committee  
 Constitution and Bylaws

*Discussion:* [email Sharanya with and questions about her report]

AK: Sharanya wanted to reach out because tests cost thousands of dollars--will NYSHIP cover these?

GB: Several students quarantined at Hunter, and workers are told to stay home if they feel sick. What does this mean for pay for adjuncts? PSC has asked CUNY; no response yet.

RK: What is the procedure for students in GC housing--if they need to be quarantined, what happens?

RH: Executive Committee of Graduate Council discussed this briefly. GC recently acquired a license for Zoom so that all classes can go completely online.

Grants  
 Health & Wellness  
 Outreach  
 Student Services  
 USS Advisory Committee  
 Advocate Advisory Board  
 OpenCUNY Board  
 Governance Task Force

**E. Officer for Student Life & Services (Giacomo Bianchino)**

- Events coming up
  - Board Game night- potentially 19th March
  - 28 March: Survivors Event with “Safe Horizon”
  - Showing of “All We’ve Got” March 30<sup>th</sup>
  - Jewelry Making Workshop- April 17
- Student request: donation drive
  - [Centre ValBio](#) is a research station located next to a protected area of rainforest in Southeastern Madagascar. They host and support researchers and students from around the world with the goal of studying/protecting Madagascar's unique biodiversity and servicing the local communities through various outreach programs. One of the most consistent problems the research station is being able to provide enough gear for its 55 field technicians. Due to the forested landscape and the type of work being done, the gear takes a beating. Most of this gear cannot be purchased within Madagascar either, so they depend on researchers to bring it over when they can. I would like to host a fundraiser/donation drive for the research station to collect gear and money to purchase additional gear that we don't collect. I would bring this with me when I go back in the fall and/or send it with the Stony Brook study abroad in the fall. All monetary donations would go through [WISE Tropics](#), a registered non-profit so they are tax-deductible. The type of general gear needed is tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, headlamps, raincoats, rain pants, good quality flashlights, rechargeable batteries (AAA, AA, and D), lightweight fleece jackets, t-shirts, and wool socks. The more specific type of gear needed is watches (TIMEX Ironman or we found [this one](#) to be a good substitute), solar panel chargers, and Rite in the Rain level notebooks/pens. Pretty good quality rain boots can be bought in the capital of the country so the money raised would also be good to buy those as bringing over rainboots takes up a lot of room in suitcases.
  - Ideally, I would like to have a week-long drop-off period so people can bring stuff in when they are already coming to the GC. I work full-time and can't be there during the day, but I could come every evening to collect the gear, maybe we could have the DSC lounge (the place we hold the Board Game Nights) as the drop-off area for the equipment? As for the monetary donations or anything that is valuable that people may be dropping off I would like to have supervised so I'm hoping the DSC officers could do

this during their office hours and then lock those items (watches, solar chargers, field books) and the money. Let me know if you have more ideas about this. Would the GC be okay with us collecting money? I'm not sure how that works.

*Discussion:*

RH: I'm ok with it, except for the collecting money part, and we shouldn't have to do the admin work.

RK: It's complicated to process donations.

AK: Is this something we could directly donate money to?

JG: What's the downside of saying no?

GB: OK to use a room in the building, as we've done before. Anything else is too much.

JG: Can someone ask for donations at plenary?

RK: Any rep is welcome to make announcements at plenary. Lockers are available. Possibility of free performance from Gibney Dance Company on gender-based violence.

EC: No solicitation allowed at GC.

Plenary

Executive Committee

**Steering Committee**

**F. Officer for Technology & Library (Michael Greer)**

Constitution and Bylaws

Grants

Health & Wellness

Outreach

Student Services

USS Advisory Committee

Advocate Advisory Board

OpenCUNY Board

Governance Task Force

- Urgent help needed with fleshing out the Student Technology Fee proposals before 9th march. I particularly need help with the highlighted sections (Ming's SPSS suggestion and the related worry of the Virtual Desktop) and the rationale/justification sections of all four proposals. Feel free to make any adjustments you feel are appropriate. Raj will go to the meeting on Monday with this in hand prepared to offer these proposals from the floor, as is permitted at the STF meeting.
- CUNY2020: Work should have already started. I sent round an email to the DSC-L yesterday. Please see said email for details.
- Still waiting to receive the IT budget. The business office is just not responding to my emails. What should I/we do?
- Columbia/NYU/NYPL situation is still on my radar. Some developments have happened but they're not massive, so I'll wait to update you until I do a couple more things.
- What I'm calling the "Study Spaces Initiative" is still on my radar. This, broadly speaking, refers to the resounding lack of study spaces AND lack of INFORMATION about study space in the building.
- A student has been in correspondence, and has raised an important worry concerning study spaces. He's really concerned, on behalf of people in his program, about the fact what used to be a quiet space in the basement of the library is now going to be a group-collaboration space. In response, Matt Gold suggested that they could institute "quiet hours" in the CUNY2020 lounge. I'm waiting to hear back from Andre. I hope to find a day to traipse around the building and make a list of all the study spaces I come across. There should be 9th and 3rd floor classrooms where computers were brought from the basement of the library. All department lounges should be highlighted on this list.
- I hope to get the provost to send round an email to inform students that they need not be constrained by their departments, when it comes to finding a study space. Anyone can apparently use any study space they like, whether they belong to the department it is situated in or not!
- I was thinking of encouraging Andre (and other interested parties) to start up an ad hoc committee dedicated to the Study Spaces Initiative. Matt Gold told me that he would set up a meeting with people from the Provost's office to talk about the need for more study space, and I thought that if we had an ad hoc committee, that would be more convincing (because it represents the student body, etc. etc.)

*Discussion:*

AK: List of resources (archives, databases, software) has been chipped away at for years; is there anything that we could bring back? E.g. old movie database lapsed.

GB: Services like Kanopy--other campuses have it but not GC.



RK: The ones cut were being less used--like maybe five times a year. We don't know what students want. Most don't come to us.

MC: Concern that proposals might not be passed. But we can still try.

RH: It's worth proposing. The committee has to vote. If there's money, it might get passed.

RH: CUNY Virtual Desktop: had SPSS, Mathematica, but now no longer has SPSS. Might be worth bringing back SPSS.

## V. New Business

### A. Petition for New Program Representative (Voting)

Plenary

Executive Committee

**Steering Committee**

Constitution and Bylaws

Grants

Health & Wellness

Outreach

Student Services

USS Advisory Committee

Advocate Advisory Board

OpenCUNY Board

Governance Task Force

1. Katherine Anderson (Biology)
2. Efthimia Johanides (MALS)
3. David Dansu (Biochemistry)
4. Jos Fesinstine (Women's Studies)
5. Goncalo Costa (Economics)
6. Ege Aksu (Economics)
7. Keith A Dames (Biography and Memoir)

AK moves to approve all program reps. RK seconds the motion.

*Vote:* Motion passes unanimously.

### B. Request for Endorsement from the Ad-Hoc Accessibility Committee (Voting)

Note from MG: The Ad-Hoc Accessibility Committee is receiving pushback from administration about the wording they are proposing for the syllabus. You were all sent the wording and many of you responded.

RK moves to endorse the Ad Hoc Accessibility Committee's proposed language for syllabi. GB seconds.

*Vote:* Motion passes unanimously.

### C. New At-large Representatives (Voting)

1. Mounira Keghida
2. Marianne Madoré
3. Pamela Stenberg

AK moves to approve all new at-large reps, SG seconds.

*Vote:* Motion passes unanimously.

### D. Steering Discretionary Fund (Voting)

[No motions brought]

### E. The Wellness Center Referrals

[Already discussed.]

### F. Students on Graduate Council Committees

RH: Please help spread the word about vacancies coming up for on Grad Council committees.

RK: It is very important that students are represented on these committees, in particular the Curriculum and Degree Requirements, Structure, Research, Student Services, and Committee on Committees

### G. DSC Elections Awareness Campaign

RH: Want to ramp up participation by sending out multiple notices to students about elections.

RK: We need good voter turnout because the constitutional amendments will be on the ballot, as well as Participatory Budgeting proposals.

EC: We should ask all departments to spread the news. Despite email notifications, turnout is low.

AK: What if we had a flier with this info and they could just put it on their bulletin boards.

RH: We have an electronic flier that will go up, but a printed flier is a good idea.

### H. DSC Party Planning

RH: We are postponing the party until after the April plenary so we have more time to plan. Maybe we can change up the food and have something else along with the pizza. We can hire one bartender and the DJ. There's also another DJ wants to volunteer to play a 30 minute set.

RK: We might have to split up the bill on the food ordering because \$1500 is a lot.

GB: Can we get art students to do images to display on the projector?

RH: Last time people complained that there was too much light, but there might be a way to do it.

MC: What about a photo booth?

RH: That's a good idea. I think we can get that.

Plenary

Executive Committee

### I. Dissertation Showcase Selection Committee

RH: Have been asked to recommend one masters and one PhD student to be on the committee that selects students to be on this committee. Committee will receive applications on March 23<sup>rd</sup>, then read and rank the dissertations. Committee will meet on April 1st 10-12pm. Will send it out to DSC reps over Works and if no one is interested, GB and AK are willing to do it.

Steering Committee

Constitution and Bylaws

Grants

### J. Possible Starbucks on First Floor

Note from MG: alerted me to the news that he heard that the downstairs cafe will be replaced with a Starbucks. He heard this from the cafeteria workers upstairs. If this is true, then this will be the third Starbucks within a five-minute walking radius of here. I promised Jeremy I would put it on our radar.

Health & Wellness

Outreach

RH: I sent an email to Student Affairs today inquiring about this. Waiting for a response.

Student Services

GB: I heard from staff the cafe will be reopening as it was.

RK: We should demand an auxiliary board meeting. Things are happening and there's been no meeting.

USS Advisory Committee

Advocate Advisory Board

OpenCUNY Board

Governance Task Force

## VI. Announcements

- A. RH: The GC's Middle States Site Team visit will take place March 30 - April 1. The team will be meeting students. While we do not have the schedule yet, we need 10-12 students to participate in the meetings: Ideally, a mix of doctoral and masters students as well a mix from humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Please recommend students who would be interested, include contact information and availability.
- B. GB: Yasemin Ozumerzifon, the Director of Community Action at Gibney reached out to the GC hosting a performance by survivor leaders to start a dialogue around gender-based violence and connect GC students with resources on and off campus in case they or someone they know is experiencing gender-based violence. A recent grant allowed them to expand one of their programming and offer this performance for free this fiscal year. They would like to offer a performance followed by a dialogue to the GC community as well as share any resources that GC provides around gender-based violence to connect the community to the GC's offerings. Yasemin said they can offer this performance any time between late February to June 30th of 2020. This [video](#) highlights one of the survivor leaders and how they connect with movement to raise awareness.
- C. EC: A student from LAILAC contacted me regarding the creation and distribution of a letter to Restaurant Associates and the next catering service to use environmentally sustainable dinnerware. I will be copying the letter into the Google doc so that Steering can provide feedback to send back to her.

## VII. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 7:41 pm.