



Steering Meeting *Minutes* September 10, 2021

Attendance:

Present: Adam Kocurek (AK), Sharanya Dutta (SD), Deborah Leter (DL), Katie Anderson (KA), Angela LaScala-Gruenewald (ALG), Parisa Montazaran Osmanovic (PMO), Carmin Quijano Seda (CQS), Silvia Rivera Alfaro (SRA), Edward Charnley (ED), Sameer Sabharwal-Siddiqi (SSS), Adashima Oyo (AO).

Guests: Jonathan Hanon (JH).

Meeting called to order at 4:38 PM

I. Approval of Agenda

Motion to approve: Amendment added by Katie Anderson to approve the Criminal Justice program rep petition. Motion by Debbie Leter (Anthro)

Seconded: Adam Kocurek (History)

Vote: Passes unanimously

II. Approval of Minutes of the June 04, 2021 Meeting

Motion to approve: Adam Kocurek (History)

Seconded: Silvia Rivera Alfaro (LAILAC)

Vote: Passes unanimously

III. Executive Committee Reports

A. Co-Chair for Student Affairs (Sharanya Dutta)

Activites:

- Fall 2021 nodes for Chartered Organizations have not yet been created. I wanted to wait this month to see if we could have the new website up and running so I don't start it on DSCWorks and then have to migrate everything and lose all the data (potentially but hopefully not). If it seems like we won't have the website ready that quickly, I will just start it on DSCWorks and deal with it. When I DO open the chartered org rosters, you are ALL required to sign ALL the rosters.
 - Some orgs may need to be de-chartered. I will follow up with them and give them a chance to announce on the listserv because often the issue is that they can't find new leaders. I had begun this process before the pandemic kicked in and now I just have to re-start it from scratch.
- I know people have been asking about DGSC rooms. There's two kinds of requests.

- If it's about a conference in the Spring of 2022, direct them to me. Our orders are to "provisionally" approve them on a first come first served basis, which can be revoked if COVID gets worse next semester and we have to shut down building access.
- If it's about teaching/study spaces, I will eventually make a Google calendar link where people can sign up to use DGSC rooms, potentially. But I cannot do anything yet because we've been asked to wait by admin until we have the final enrollment numbers, in case they are in dire need of our rooms for some in person classes. As I'm sure you know, there is a massive space crunch in the GC.
- As for steering officers, we have quite a few spare rooms and lounges that are currently unlocked which you can work out of! Adam has the numbers of the rooms.
- *Announcements:*
 - You will likely receive/have already received an email from Eric Brown asking you to complete your SPARC training. It used to be that you would be prompted to do it automatically in CUNYfirst but now apparently he has to individually sign you up for it and then you can take it. More tedious, but still necessary. You cannot be in this office/get a stipend without having completed that. You no longer have to email the certificate to Eric Brown. Just complete it and he will know you have. So please make that a priority NOW. You should see it in your Blackboard.

Discussion:

Ed Charnley: I am uncomfortable with the idea that we as steering officers have to sign off on chartered organizations as a rule of thumb, in case we personally are unwilling to sign off on a chartered org. I will sign on all of them, but I just want to voice that.

Sharanya Dutta: Oh yes, if you are ideologically opposed to a chartered organization, you don't need to sign off on them at all - but it is a best practice effort and a good faith attempt at supporting student organizations.

Carmin Quijano-Seda: I was the one who put in room requests for LAILAC conferences. Will we be given first priority for the room requests, if we are indeed able to reserve physical rooms next semester? Also, if I want to hold a game night on September 29, can I reserve that room? How many people can I fit into a room? How can I reserve a room?

Sharanya Dutta: Yes, you will be given first priority for the room reservation, as you were the first. And for the biggest room, I believe you can have 12 people in the room, and you can put in the room reservation on DSCWorks.

Parisa:

Sharanya Dutta: Chartered org events have to be in the service of or open to the broader student community. As steering members, we can give them that boost for the first 11 signatures, and then they need to find the next nine.

Parisa Montazaran: Is there a history or precedent of lack of support for a group?

Ed Charnley: Yes, it's the idea that as a steering member, we are obligated to help sign off on chartered organizations, but with that blanket rule, it might set a worrying precedent, such as if students set up a "pro-life"

chartered organization. So I just want to emphasize that we cannot dictate to steering officers that they must sign off on all chartered orgs.

Sharanya Dutta: Oh yes - we don't need to sign off on a chartered organization if you do not want to.

Adashima Oyo: It doesn't jive with me that we have to sign off on all the chartered organizations.

Sharanya Dutta: I encourage everyone to read the chartered organization constitutions to see if there are any organizations that you do or don't want to support, and then act accordingly.

Co-Chair for Communications (Deborah Leter)

Activites/Recent Meetings:

- **8/10 - Call with Inma, our social media coordinator.** We had a really productive call and talked about there being more regular and direct communication between CCC and the social media coordinator. We set up a google doc for her to update all her activities on and for me to provide feedback and suggestions. We want to be more active & transparent on social media, so whenever you think something the DGSC is doing should be advertised online, please send her your updates and she'll tweet/instagram/facebook them!
- **July/August:** followed up with OSA and President Garrell on the out-of-state tuition issue, and stayed in touch with the PSC and students who have been voicing concerns about the issue. Worked on the statement we issued as Steering. Prepared the New Student Orientations documents and video.
- **9/1 - Co-chairs/OSA meeting**
 - Our Everbridge/vax pass survey: we gave them an overview of the data Sameer collected. They told us that we are soon going to stop using Everbridge and start using a different system in early/mid-October. It will involve having a QR code that you scan before entering the building (no more need to request a vaxpass every day).
 - Vaccination: students will not be allowed to attend classes if they're not vaccinated by September 14.
 - International students: There's been issues with international students not receiving their SSN. OSA said they would check in with the Provost's office about this.
 - Room reservations: We've been receiving requests from students who would like to use the DGSC spaces to take/teach Zoom classes in, right before or after in-person classes. Many students are in this awkward situation. We'd like to offer some of the DGSC rooms for this. They told us they would be in touch soon to let us know if we can do this, but we should follow up if we don't hear back soon.

Updates:

- **The out-of-state residency issue** has been successfully addressed! Next steps are that every affected student will receive an email with instructions on what to do. Students who have already been unfairly charged will get their money back. One thing that we should emphasize to students as the DGSC is that any affected student who is not yet in NYC should move here ASAP so as to be able to establish residency in a year from now. If they're not able to do that, they will be retroactively charged. I am going to be in touch shortly with the relevant admins & offices to see how we can help in organizing a Q&A for students. I also want to get a copy of the email that's being sent out to students, so I know exactly what

information has been communicated. President Garrell was very open and communicative right before this agreement was reached with CUNY Central, and I appreciate that.

- **DGSC website:** Co-chairs are having weekly meetings with Jose, our website developer. We had made a lot of quick progress on designing the website and the home page, and then the website crashed and Jose is working on fixing it. This new website would be more user-friendly than our current one and would be merged with Works, so we won't have a separate Works system any more. I wish we could tell you when the website will be ready, but we're on standstill for now. We'll continue to have weekly meetings with Jose until it's ready.

Upcoming Meetings:

- Introductory meeting with President Garrell (September 27)
- EC meeting with Provost (October 1st)

Discussion:

SRA (LAILAC): Info about Health and Wellness committee on the new website?

DL: I remember how we talked about that what is present on the current website isn't very user-friendly, so we are absolutely going to keep that in mind.

B. Co-Chair for Business (Adam Kocurek)

- Return to the DGSC Physical Space
 - Recently, the three co-chairs have visited the office spaces again and surveyed the area. There is going to be a period, likely/hopefully soon after the retreat on the 18th, that we meet as a group (as many of us as possible) on the 5th floor of the building so that I can give you a rundown of how our physical space is set up. You have all had your keys ordered by Debbie and you should be able to pick them up from Security and Public Safety on the 9th floor - just show them your ID (with the updated semester sticker, gotten on the 8th floor at the Bursar office) and tell them that you are a DGSC steering officer, and they should provide you with the relevant keys. If there are keys missing, please let me know so that we can coordinate with the office to get you the updated keys. But as of now, you should ALL have access to the lounge, your shared office, and the other DGSC rooms.
 - When we have the group meeting, I would like us to also do a quick overview of our stock/inventory, clean up our display boards, and see if there are any things that we need to order. Thankfully, cleaning services have been to the lounge and they are planning on coming in and cleaning our rooms soon!
- Budgets and Program Allocations
 - Until I get the updated/finalized enrollment numbers from Elise from the Office of Student Affairs, which should come soon after the add/drop period is finalized, I cannot make any concrete changes/additions to the bare bones/apocalypse budget that I presented at the Plenary elect meeting in the Spring semester. But I should have those numbers soon, at which

point I will calculate our total allocated budget for the year, plus our carryover from last semester. Once I have drafted a budget, I will send it out to the steering committee for comments/suggestions before I present it for consideration/voting at plenary.

- My goal, provided that we preserved enrollment numbers and had a decent carryover (which projections look like we did) is to keep program allocations and chartered org allocations artificially inflated. I am also thinking of increasing the steering and executive committee discretionary budget lines so that we have more money for purchasing things for our lounges/shared spaces (a lot had to be thrown away).
- Affiliate Reports
 - I am going to send out an email to all our affiliates (The Advocate, the Adjunct Project, and OpenCUNY) to schedule meetings in advance of our September 24th plenary meeting. I will get from them 1) an update of what they've done over the summer, and 2) what they plan to do over the next semester. I will then provide a condensed version of these reports to plenary.
- Please complete your Sparc/eSparc training as soon as possible!! If you do not have them available on blackboard, please contact Eric Brown to get access - if they are not completed, you will be removed from steering and ineligible to collect payment.
- Requisition Orders
 - As of literally this week, after months of hassle, I have finally gotten requisition generation status on CUNYFirst, which is needed now by CUNY Central for me to make honorarium payment requests for people outside of the CUNY system. We also have assembled an approval committee of administrators who have all be updated as to the extenuating situations around payment delays. This weekend, I will generate a round of requisitions for outstanding honorarium requests from the last semester. My hope is that the process has finally been streamlined and figured out, and we can finally get these people their payments ASAP. However, it is SUCH a laborious chore that I strongly want to encourage us and program reps/chartered org leaders to refrain from offering honorariums to people outside of CUNY, and suggest instead that they keep speaking engagements, performance fees, consultant payments, etc. in-house to CUNY.

Discussion:

CQS (LAILAC): Thanks so much for all your hard work Adam! We were told in our dept. that we could not double-pay CUNY people as speakers for conferences etc. Could you clarify?

AK: We ourselves get paid from multiple CUNY sources. They would get separate 1099s etc so they would be "independent contractors". So there should not be a conflict.

EC (History): Since it's difficult to do honorariums, should we just spend it so we don't lose it?

AK: We won't lose the money, because it rolls over in our budget.

SD: A comment about international speakers. I think that is beyond the pale for us. Short of committing fraud, we cannot do it. Because the IRS gets involved and people who have no SSNs/ITINs cannot get paid.

ALG: Is there a workaround to getting non CUNY people?

AK: Not exactly, because the process is still laborious. And we could technically if people had a tax ID number/SSN, but I would discourage it. Also, last year program reps weren't as creative as they could have been, and also may have used it for personal CV padding/professors who didn't necessarily need it got almost the entirety of the program funds. That should be incumbent upon dept discretionary budgets.

CQS: I agree with the fact that we should use the money creatively. We tried to do the book purchase last year, but do students get to keep those personally or to give it to the department? CUNY has an excellent network of researchers and scholars, but I am worried about these bureaucratic processes stifling any actual potential. They're preventing us from using our own monies. We're also destroying our reputation in the academic community.

AK: This is part of a bigger issue that I have not had the bandwidth to address. It's a mandate from CUNY Central. USS might be a smarter place to advocate for this. We should maybe write a letter/push back against this new standard and hostile to student interests. We should do this once the dust settles around the initial hectic-ness of the semester. As for the books, it should stay within the spirit of benefitting the dept and if there's an open call to buy books that students need etc, that would be totally okay!

C. USS Delegate (Edward Charnley)

Activites:

- USS Meetings will commence this Sunday (12th) with a "meet and greet."
- The next USS Plenary has been set for September 26th.
- Board of Trustees Meetings have been set to start on 10/4. The schedule may be viewed [here](#).

Updates:

- N/A

Announcements:

- USS will be engaged with elections for the next two months worth of meetings.

Discussion:

AK: Because the requisition issue is a CUNY Central mandate, but not sure if there are regional distinctions. So maybe first see if it's on the radar of other campuses and we can take it from there. Then we can lend our support as an organization, as appropriate.

D. UFS Liaison (Parisa Montazaran Osmanovic)

Activites:

- Transition meeting with Natacha and Adam
- Attended UFS Informational Plenary Session on July 27, 2021
 - Most of the meeting was spent discussing the return to campus.
 - There was a clear divide between faculty that did not feel safe with the uncertainty of student vaccination and those that were sick of zoom and wanted to be back in person.

- Analysis of lower enrollment numbers, revenue and CARES act money: NYC is cutting budget for CUNY so most of our CARES act money will be making up for the budget cuts. The GC gets almost nothing from that.
- CUNY has similar drop rate to national community colleges but local state and community college enrollment rates are doing better than us. They were brainstorming how to make us look better so we stop losing students and I raised the point of CUNY's enrollment drop rate being on par with national rate is relatively impressive considering delta variant and our students rely on mass transit and come to classrooms in huge buildings with elevators and rooms with no windows or proper ventilation. The "cannibalism" from LI/upstate community colleges reflects similar suburban flight during pandemic. Many students lost jobs, moved home with parents, etc.
- Attended Cross CUNY Working Group Against Racism and Colonialism Teach-In: "Decolonizing Higher Education: Pedagogy, Curriculum, and Organizing" on September 9, 2021
- Will attend the Voter Registration Training Webinar on September 13, 2021

Announcements:

- The UFS Plenary meeting is to be held on September 28, 2021
- CUNY-wide information on the continuity of library services during COVID-19 is now updated here: <https://www.cuny.edu/libraries/continuity-of-library-services/>
- The University is undertaking a student voter registration campaign that requires a has a training webinar to guide us and students through the process. This online event will be held Monday, September 13, 2021 from 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Further information regarding the webinar and its registration process can be found at: <https://www1.cuny.edu/sites/cunyufs/2021/09/09/voter-registration-training-on-sept-13th-at-400-p-m/>

Discussion:

SD: Thank you so much for your report! When you asked about what we can bring to them - I've been hearing a lot about enrollment caps. It's totally college and program specific, but I know people who are teaching an intro course with 35+ people per section. It's an insane course cap, and worth talking about, maybe pushing for redistribution. Also, apparently at least at Baruch, a lot of people just dropped out, and then people were asked to switch at the last minute, or last minute hiring calls were put out.

PMO: You just reminded me when you mentioned the cap - that was a concern for some of the professors, the in-person professors were complaining about empty classes, but the online courses are full. I'm not sure what the class cap is, or if it differs between colleges or disciplines

AK: This chaos should not have come out of the blue. In the absence of a concrete reactivation plan (BoT kept delaying the decision). Students planned in advance based on their financial precarity. Not sure what the positive way to have predicted this would have been, given COVID. Adjuncts got a day's notice sometimes to teach classes. That's definitely something to bring up, because we are in financial precarity as graduate students so have to take on the classes. Very hard to teach when students are in corridors/libraries—same as last semester when they were tuning in from their jobs. They have in person and online back to back, hybrid classes being rolled out ad hoc and it is not conducive to student learning.

Also GC reactivation plan doesn't even bring up air quality. No windows in these rooms, no code established. Faculty and students don't feel safe.

PMO: Agreed - I brought it up at the UFS meeting that it's absurd that the gc reactivation plan made no mention of air quality. Even if students have to access classes from less than ideal circumstances, shouldn't we be trained pedagogically to deal with these circumstances? I had to come up with it on the fly—what participation meant. I will not penalize you for not turning on your camera. Putting the importance on actually reacting to and participating in the class/material. I've been asked by students to just record classes, but I teach a Sociology class and that format just doesn't work. I don't know that they really care about that aspect at all.

SRA: I had mental health accommodations but I wasn't allowed to teach online this semester. I now have to teach two sections in the Spring. I wondered how to best find out/advocate for students with disabilities who have to also teach.

PMO: I could bring this up but would they refer me to the union/disability services?

SRA: It's confusing.

PMO: What's the downside to making it hybrid/also having an online component? There may be a technical guide about only x% of classes being online, so we can't.

EC: Point of order that I cede my time and I would like to ideally hear all sides of the argument. I am aware of other people's commitments so I am perfectly happy to continue this over email, given that we've reiterated that this extended discussion is eating into people's other obligations.

IV. Steering Officer Reports

A. Officer for Funding (Angela LaScala-Gruenewald) (Interim)

Discussion:

ALG: I was previously on the grants committee and this is how I ended up on this group, but I'm looking forward to working with you all!

B. Officer for Governance & Membership (Katie Anderson)

Activities:

- no meetings.

Updates:

- slight movement in program and at-large representation
 - theater (Dohyun → Casey)
 - two at-large reps stepped down
 - one replacement processed so far (I will do the second before the september plenary)

- Criminal Justice has submitted a petition to regain representation for the 21-22 academic year. waiting on the FA21 active student list from student affairs to fully approve the completed petition.

Announcements:

- I have created a DGSC Steering History document to track previous members and the roles they have held:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p58_BeLzyhhpgH_GiBnmUoGp3M6YXB8n6dim-fdOTEs/edit?usp=sharing
 - I think Silvia asked for this earlier in the summer
 - I went back as far as was easy... in the minutes to gather names. please feel free to add/edit information on the sheet!

Discussion: No discussion.

C. Officer for Health & Wellness (Silvia Rivera Alfaro)

Activites:

- I have been in contact with Elise Perram for the Yoga classes. I created a survey to find out how yoga would work better for the students. People voted for having yoga twice a week. I proposed hours according to the availability of Michelle Morrison, the instructor. The best hours according to the survey are Monday at 9 a.m. and Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
- According to the survey people are willing to take zumba lessons (Latinx fitness dance). Nevertheless, it is important to discuss this option. Last Spring we had a fitness dance, but the professor was not very responsive in terms of communication, nor did we have the chance to observe the class. I believe that having the class will be good as long as a member of the committee could participate in it. I believe we could do something together with Student Life & Services to make it like a happy-party student activity. Also, I believe it would be advisable to have the class only once a week.
- Elise Perram and I have been talking about the possibility of having a "coffee+health" time with the students instead of the "Navigating NYSHIP" lecture. The event would include NYSHIP administration and The Wellness Center. The idea is to have a space where students can get closer to the administration to ask questions about health and wellness and feel able to talk to the people instead of feeling the distance and coldness from the virtual environment now that we cannot go in-person to their offices. We have the idea of having a raffle for those who participate in the event. The raffle could be something related to wellbeing.

Announcements:

- Yoga is happening :) Elise Perram already confirmed that we have the OK to do the appointment. According to Elise:
"I have permission to hire Michelle for the following dates:
9/20, 9/23, 9/27, 9/30, 10/4, 10/7, 10/14, 10/18, 10/21, 10/25, 10/28, 11/1, 11/4, 11/8, 11/11, 11/15, 11/18, 11/22, 11/29, 12/2, 12/6, 12/9, 12/13 and 12/16
That is 24 classes at roughly \$63 per class for %1512.00 plus benefits".

- I will be coordinating the first meeting with the Committee for Health and Wellness in the 4th week of september.

Proposal:

- Invite Elise Perram and William McGowan to the plenary meeting. Optional: Wellness Center.

Discussion:

CQS: Do I need to turn on my camera for the classes? My concern is also that I've been emailing William and the NYSHIP office and they are taking very long to answer our emails. Should we bring this up at plenary? Can we suggest that they have a chat room or office hours that we can drop in on during Zoom?

SRA: This is an excellent concern. I'm very glad that they're the first people at our plenary meetings, so we can talk to them about this. It's also great that you don't have to turn on your camera during yoga or fitness classes.

SD: So basically Bill is saying that his office is understaffed, and that a number of students who couldn't join last year, they're here now, and so they're onboarding all the new students on our ONESTOP and it's completely slogged back. I've recommended that people cc one of the co-chairs to your emailed questions so that it's on their radar and on our radar. I have a feeling that until mid-semester, he's going to be slammed, but as a structural thing, I strongly suggest that we recommend a chat. To Silvia's point, I think that the coffee meeting idea is great, but I don't think it should substitute the navigating nyship seminar.

EC: Is the Wellness Office physically open/can students do walk-in sessions?

SRA: I'll find out and let you know!

EC: This may be a Student Services question too. But the International Students Office is coming in physically but not seeing students in person for document exchange etc. I was wondering if it was a general thing or if different depts have different policies.

D. Officer for Outreach (Sameer Sabharwal-Siddiqi)

Activites:

- **Outreach Inbox:** Admitted six students onto the international-students WhatsApp. These students found my info via the DSC Open House pdf (thank you Debbie!)
- **International Student Housing:**
 - Observed from "International CUNY" Whatsapp transcript that ~25-33% of queries on international student WhatsApp pertain to the housing search. These discussions are often lengthy because they are more like a request for guidance than any specific question.
 - Therefore, as a means of helping students, and also critically to make the international Whatsapp less saturated with posts (so that other issues are not overlooked), I want to make a PDF, "how-to guide," that I can simply share on the WhatsApp
 - The bulk of the PDF will consist of the most important information - links to Craigslist, Spareroom, Streeteasy, and names of relevant facebook groups (this much is very easy for me). But I also want to incorporate information
- **Vax-Pass Survey/Report:** Passed-on to admin by Debbie
- Plan for September - GC-wide gathering (or "International-Student Gathering" etc.). Obviously pending COVID and budget-limitations

Updates:

- Commencing Monthly Outreach Meetings (09/10/2021), brainstorm goals with international-students on committee

Announcements: Nothing To Report

Discussion:

EC: The international student WhatsApp group is a really good forum to post stuff, but maybe not the perfect way to think about it to limit discussion/posts there. So I'm a little protective of the group, it's an open space for us and builds a community. Shouldn't necessarily regulate/limit it. Because it's not a DGSC forum.

SSS: Absolutely not my intention, your point is well taken.

E. Officer for Student Life & Services (Carmin Quijano Seda)

Activities:

- I've been doing my office hours every Monday, sharing information with students and answering emails.
- The emails I have been receiving are mostly about public transportation and housing.
- Regarding public transportation, I have contacted Eric Brown about MTA discounts. He says that currently the MTA is not offering any discounts for students. But he is checking periodically with them and updating this type of information here:
<https://www.gc.cuny.edu/Prospective-Current-Students/Student-Life/Student-Activities-Discounts>
- About the housing issue, international students are having a hard time finding an apartment here in NYC. I have received messages and emails of desperate students who are not finding housing because they lack a credit score and the money to pay fees.
- I have contacted Jane Tartaro, GC's Housing Manager, and she says that she does not have any room available, even for temporary housing.
- I have given students the contact information of different landlords from my neighborhood. But I feel that's not enough.
- I was thinking about talking to Sameer, or any of the Steering members who have contacts, to create a directory with names of landlords and places where students could find leasing with their particular situation in mind (i.e. no credit score, not a lot of savings, etc.) Update: I see that Sameer is already working on this directory/list. So, I am more than happy to collaborate in this project.

Updates:

- I am working on a free events, museums & activities guide/hacks in NYC.
- I'm planning to send it out before the next plenary meeting.
- Suggestions and ideas are always welcome.

Announcements:

Proposed activities for the fall

- 90's-themed Board Games Night (In-person with RSVP)

- a. Tentative date: Sep 29, 2021 (6:00 to 9:00 pm)
- b. Budget:
 - \$100 for new board games (4 to 5)
 - \$100 for refreshments
 - \$75 for GrubHub gift cards
 - Total: \$275
- Native American Jewelry Workshop for Beginners (On-line with RSVP)
 - a. Tentative date: Oct 27, 2021 (6:00 to 9:00 pm)
 - b. Budget:
 - \$300 for 30 kits with materials
 - \$45 for GrubHub gift cards for the student who offers the workshop
 - Total: \$345
 - c. Details:
 - Bri offered to do the workshop again with a much simpler beading pattern.
 - This time around we will make hoops earrings.
 - However, she hasn't confirmed with me her availability yet. I'll keep you posted.
- Virtual Talent Show (On-line with RSVP)
 - a. Tentative date: Dec 1, 2021 (6:00 to 9:00 pm)
 - b. Budget:
 - \$375 for 25 GrubHub gift cards
 - Total: \$375
 - c. Details:
 - I would like to distribute gift cards to all participants.

Discussion:

SD: Some companies, like [Rhino](#) act as companies that stand in as guarantors in case international students looking for housing don't have a credit score.

AK: Your budget should be fine - I'm thinking the services committee budget should have about \$1000 for this semester.

SSS: Can we use two separate budget lines for an event?

AK: Yes! You just need to specify which budget lines should go towards covering which expenses.

F. Officer for Technology & Library (Adashima Oyo) (moved forward to after Parisa)

Activites:

- Technology: Initial meeting with AVP, Office of I.T. held on 9/8/21
- Technology: Student issues with Zoom (Email from Jonathan Hanon)
- Technology: Student license for Adobe is readily available to all GC students
- Technology: Printing needs for students (there are plans to purchase more printers).
- Technology: Question from IT VP, Elaine: "What issues or concerns are students having?"
- Library: Increasing library hours beyond 10am-6pm, M-F
 - Question from Emily: "What are the preferred additional hours for GC students?"

- More Info from Emily: “We would love to increase library hours and this is on my list of things to discuss with the provost when we meet for the first time on Monday. For us it’s a staffing issue—we are at the maximum allotment of hours and without staffing increases we can’t be open. **Would love to talk more about what students want most—evenings? Till when? Weekends?**—so that I can best coordinate my ask with what works for students.”
- Library: Search committee update for Head of Reference position
 - First meeting held on 9/3/21 to review hiring process
 - Any student-centered interview questions from DGSC?
- Other: Can we send out Outlook/Google invites for meetings?
- Other: How can we more effectively utilize open cafeteria space on the 8th floor? Tables are already socially distanced. Could students maybe use it as an additional study space with their laptops? (Discussed with IT VP, Elaine).

Announcements: None

Discussion: No discussion

SD: We can add these points to the document where we’re collating questions to bring to the Provost and President.

V. New Business

A. Steering and Plenary Meeting Logistics

1. Meeting Duties

DL: Please remember to sign up for meeting duties on the shared excel sheet! About 7-8 per officer, spread out over the two!

SD: Please do them sooner rather than later and bookmark the email so that you can find the excel sheet in advance of the meeting!

2. Discussion: online or in-person Steering meetings?

DL We aren’t going to force anyone to do anything they’re uncomfortable with, but are we open to in-person or hybrid steering meetings?

CQS: I am open to it! But I am worried about hybrid because it feels like a bit more to manage.

SD: That’s a great point, it’s hard with more than 2 people in a room, but I think we have enough space to go into the other offices and spread out a bit.

CQS: Yes! I just want to be careful about making the distinction between hybrid and hi-flex.

AK: I motion to table items B, C, D, E, F, G with the amendment to add Katie Anderson’s voting item as the last speaking item of the session.

SRA: I second the motion.

No discussion.

The motion passes unanimously.

- B. New Student Orientation/Open House Debrief
- C. Office Hours and Officer Responsibilities
- D. Collaboration between officers on projects
- E. Steering retreat (September 18)
- F. Items for Executive Committee meeting with Provost (October 1)
- G. Approve Criminal Justice petition for program rep

VI. Election of Steering Officer (Voting)

Debbie Leter motions to advance this agenda item.

Adam Kocurek seconds.

No discussion.

Debbie Leter motions to nominate Angela LaScala-Gruenewald to the position of Officer for Funding.

Sharanya Dutta seconds the motion.

Motion passes unanimously.

VII. Announcements

No announcements.

VIII. Adjournment

Meeting is adjourned at 7:13 PM by unanimous consent.