



DOCTORAL AND GRADUATE STUDENTS' COUNCIL

The Graduate Center, CUNY
Robert E. Gilleece Student Center | Suite 5495
212.817.7888
dgsc@cunydgsc.org

Steering Committee Information Meeting

Summary

March 10th, 2023

4:00PM

Attendance

Present: Ian Williams, Bryce Barthuly, Christopher Campbell, Silvia Rivera Alfaro, Jonathan Hanon, Xiaole Jiang

Remote attendance via Zoom: Sayantika Mondal, Daniel Okpattah

Absent: Parisa Osmanovic, Katherine Rivera Gomez, Amour Castillo

Meeting Chair: JH

Minutes: SRA

Minutes Assist:

Meeting began at 4:06pm without a quorum

I. Approval of Agenda

Motion to Approve:

Seconded:

Vote:

II. Approval of the Minutes of the 2 December 2022 Meeting

Motion to Approve:

Seconded:

Vote:

III. Executive Committee Reports

A. Co-Chair for Student Affairs (Silvia Rivera Alfaro)

Updates:

- Chartered organizations leaders meeting took place on 03/03. About 9 leaders participated. The event had good feedback. I suggest this type of activity continue to take place to strengthen the student organizations. In the conversation with the leaders they suggested to create a handbook on the general information a chartered organization leader should know.
- Chartered organization rosters are open. Please sign all of them.
- Please complete SPARC and ESPARC. Elise Perram propose
- The call for applications to the Adjunct Project is out:
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sKrscYbhlxkxle47tNwQYbRyGi8H0DWg9UFQUy-ZoRk/edit?usp=sharing>
- LAILAC requested the use of their two exceptions for room reservations.

Announcements:

- Lunch/Meeting with the president and the provost is on 03/28
- CC-Meeting for Science students' situation with Joshua Brumberg (Dean for Sciences), Zoe Hu (PSC), Arielle Shanok (Director of the Wellness Center), Matt Schoengood (Office of Student Affairs).

Discussion:

- JH: Room reservation exceptions aren't in the Bylaws, so technically, we can still "review" it and the CCSA can approve it.
- SRA: CompLit also requested the room at the same time, before LAILAC, by email
- JH: LAILAC requested it even before, with a grant request for those dates, so LAILAC still requested first
- SRA: LAILAC is approved, and we can find a room for CompLit based on number of people and if they need food
- JH: We can work with them to fund food out of the Executive Discretion Budget in addition to what they would spend.

B. Co-Chair for Communications (Christopher Campbell)

Updates:

- Sent out election nomination emails
- Sent out surplus request for proposals
 - Students from programs, departments, and student-focused organizations
 - \$100k allocated this year to be allocated next fiscal year, \$15k max per proposal
 - Proposals are meant to be student body wide, aiming to benefit the student body as a whole rather than one program
 - There will be a committee to read over proposals and to allocate funds
 - We will try to give all valid proposals at least some funds
 - I will need help for outreach. I have a two-page PDF that can be sent out. I'll send it to the EOs, APOs, Plenary, anywhere it can be sent out.
 - I've been working with Parisa, who wants to bring a few ideas to the Plenary to see if the Plenary can supplement a stipend for the Childcare Center
 - We can hold an RFP writing workshop in late March / early April

Announcements:

Discussion:

SRA: Some students have more ability for writing proposals, but we are all PhD students. This is part of our professional skill set. The Childcare Center is something people can apply for funding for. Students can make a proposal for GC housing. We can do a public event where people can be informed about the surplus (in the Dining Commons) as an information session where people can have a conversation with someone from administration to answer specific questions about where the funds can or cannot go.

CC: Still the idea would be to do a workshop on writing the proposals.

SRA: Yes that would be nice to do.

JH: It is important to think of the use of money in terms of also not doing the work of the administration. We can't pay for things the admin doesn't want to - that's not what SAF is for.

CC: I will follow with Sayantika on the idea of organizing events.

JH: We have to take care of the committee who makes the decisions to not have bias into some programs.

CC: Thanks for the ideas everyone.

C. Co-Chair for Business (Jonathan Hanon)

Updates:

- The budget is balanced.
 - Enrollment is accounted for.

- Adjunct Project is funded from April to June.
- Vacancies have been accounted for.
- Program Allocations are balanced.
- We've been using Executive Discretionary a lot for food in the Dining Commons.
 - Thoughts?
- I attended the BoT Committee on Finance and Administration
 - Asked Chancellery about adjunct pay, tuition increase, balancing enrollment, their answer to everything is "I don't know", so I doubt we're getting answers on anything.

Announcements:

Discussion:

D. University Student Senate Delegate (Alex Jiang)

Updates:

Attended BoT Advancement and External Affairs meeting, asked the board and the chancellor about our funding situation (give us a raise!).

It seems like they have prioritized us more recently, for example, see budget request from FY 2021 to 2024. (e.g. Google cuny 2021 budget request)

FY2021:

Pedagogical Innovation

Innovative pedagogy via the CUNY Innovative Teaching

Academy: CUNY is committed to enhancing learning through innovative pedagogical practices that improve course pass rate, increase retention, and better prepare students for life, work and further study. CUNY will create a teaching academy that will

"...The proposed investment in this initiative will directly impact over 10,000 full-time faculty, adjuncts, and graduate students within its first four years, with particular strategies serving 75% of newly hired faculty and 25% of current faculty. ..."

FY2022:

Graduate student



Highlight All

Match Case

Match Diacritics

Whole Words

Phrase not found

FY2023:

Graduate Education

Strengthen CUNY's MA and PhD program offerings as a way to increase affordability and access to graduate-level education. This includes hiring 75 new faculty members and investing in the development of an online education platform to host courses. The University will also invest additional funds for doctoral stipends to remain competitive nationally by ensuring our PhD graduate-level students are compensated to meet their living and academic-related expenses while they complete their studies.

FY2024:

The one paragraph of graduate education is now a page. See [page 11](#).

Now, the reason for prioritization might be because of their goodness of heart, or because of our emphasize on payment in the recent past, and that they decided they should do something about it. Regardless, we should keep on communicating things that are important to the students, and maybe we can help with the effort of budget request by organizing our own trip to Albany for conferences, USS do that every year in winter for multiple conferences. We can directly talk to the law makers ourselves. For example, this year CUNY asked for \$10 million just for improving graduate student compensation (we might not get it, last year we didn't). I have reached out to USS fiscal affairs person, Jonathan Colon, to ask about the cost of the trips.

It may be worth it to use our reserve to organize next year's trip to Albany.

We may also want to talk to people in the Institutional Advancement department to get some context on how funding for graduate student works.

Also as a side note for use of the reserve money, what about a bi-weekly or monthly happy hour at GC? So people can feel they are more involved and better community.

Announcements:

Discussion:

IW: I have contacts in state government I can reach out to about getting DGSC further involved in Higher Education budgetary discussions.

E. University Faculty Senate Liaison (Parisa Montazaran Osmanovic)

No report.

Discussion:

IV. Steering Officer Reports

A. Officer for Health & Wellness (Katherine Rivera Gomez)

Updates:

-Yoga and Improv are still ongoing.

-I am coordinating with OSA and CCSA to have an event on student insurance on 03/22 at 3 p.m. this will be a sort of open house in the OSA space so that students can come with any questions about insurance.

Discussion:

B. Officer for Governance & Membership (Ian Williams)

Updates:

By the numbers (as of last Plenary - before removals noted below)

- Current reps: 36 (will be 33)
- Current vacancies: 28 (will be 32)
- Current Steering vacancies: 1 (Officer for Outreach)
- Quorum requirement: 19
- February 2023 attendance: 27

Resignations

- Christina Weinbaum resigned as Philosophy Rep

Removals

I have not yet contacted these representatives who, according to the latest attendance roster, are slated for automatic removal.

I also caught an error in my records, noting that Roderick Hurley was slated for removal after not attending **November** and **December** Plenary nor arranging proxies.

- **At-Large Reps:** 4 - ~~Roderick Hurley, Deborah Leter, Shibance Sivanayagam~~
Michael Williams
- **Program Reps:** N/A

Petitions for Reps

- None received

Constitution & Bylaws Committee

- Have not met, sent out When2Meet to committee members to schedule a March meeting.

Meeting w/ OGM alum

- I am taking Adam up on his offer and will meet with him and Katie next week.

Discussion:

SRA: Let's coordinate how to reach out to the students who are next in the results of the last election. Chris, should I send names and email addresses to you so that you can reach out and ask them to confirm with Ian?

CC: Yes, let's do that.

C. Officer for Funding (Bryce Barthuly)

Updates: The grants committee met last Friday, March 3rd.

During our meeting, the committee approved two grants - the Suzuki Project (\$670) and Reclaim the Commons (\$1,000). Two other grants are under expedited review pending the revision of their grant proposals based on the feedback of the committee.

The committee will meet again on Friday, March 24th to review the revised submissions and any new submissions. The next deadline for grant proposals is March 17th.

Discussion:

No discussion.

D. Officer for Student Life & Services (Sayantika Mondal)

Updates: We have been discussing about doing a legal info and food event in the Dining commons on a Tuesday soon! (Silvia can say more)

We are doing a sort of Women's day event this Friday as part of the women in stem chartered org.

Posters etc coming soon.

I will also make posters for advertising our election. (Chris can say more)

Discussion:

No discussion.

E. Officer for Library & Technology (Daniel Okpattah)

Updates:

- Chief Information Officer hiring committee is in its beginning stages, we should talk to the Plenary about what they are looking for in this position.

Discussion:

No discussion.

E. Officer for Outreach (Vacant)

V. New Business

VI. Announcements

VII. Adjournment

Motion to Adjourn:

Seconded:

Voted:

Meeting is ended at 6:48pm without a quorum.